ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed - Complete photography novice!

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Hi guys, never read this section before today but i've decided i need a decent camera so i've had a quick read through some of the sticky's and other posts.

I've always been interested in photography but always bought (very) compacts. I have a casio exilim at the moment which i bought as its easy to carry about. I'm getting fed up with going to concerts and getting crap photo's and also im going on holiday to the caribbean in January so would like to take some quiality photo's. Earlier this year I bought a cheap Panasonic Lunix which turned out to be crap tbh.

I don't think i want to spend as much as a slr but maybe a high end larger compact with a larger zoom (maybe 12x) and a decent lens width.

I don't have a clue what im mooking for or the best place to look so any help will be great.

Thanks alot guys!

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
thanks for the reply bt i dont know what one of them is :eek:

Please explain :)

Bridge camera = looks like a DSLR, has most of the features of a DSLR, but has a lens you can't change.

Fuji 6500fd is mine and I <3 it, but they're discontinued now :(

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
ah right ok thanks alot. Any particular makes/models that spring to mind?

Ian

Focus TDCi
Don't really know much about what's available at the moment, but from what I've overheard the Fuji 'S' range are decent, as are the Canon 'G' (I think..?) range and the Panasonic Lumix type jobbies. They can get pretty expensive though. I had a Fuji S5700 for a year, good camera for what it was, can pick a newer model up for anywhere between £100 and £200 I believe.

I was actually thinking of selling my Fuji S5700, in great condition, with everthing it came with new.

Have a look online, see what you think about them and post any questions in here.

Have a look at the bottom end of my flickr for some samples, the last three pages, or:

2256053966_ba9973cdef_b.jpg

2104597320_c663de7030_b.jpg

2104577566_f58605b530_b.jpg

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
thanks for the help guys.

That fuji s5700 really suprised me, i though the pics wouldn't be very goo but they are! Im looking for something with at least a 12x zoom i think though. I might try and find a later model as that seems really good for the price!

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
i went on Jessops website and it was pretty helpful. The Lumix DMC-TZ7 and the Fuji s2000HD and s1500 look pretty good to me, seems to be what im looking for anyway.

Any other ideas, looking up to £250 ideally

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
Very interested in the Samsung WB550 as its very similar to the Lumix but its availiable for less!

For that sort of money. Try and get an SLR. You'll only wish you did once you fancy a new lense etc.

I'm sure you could pick up a D40 for that sort of money.

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
For that sort of money. Try and get an SLR. You'll only wish you did once you fancy a new lense etc.

I'm sure you could pick up a D40 for that sort of money.

I would try an SLR but i'm worried i wouldn't have a clue how to get the best out of it and how to use the different lenses :S

Panasonic FZ28

That looks good, do you have one??

Gaz you can always learn as you go along. I'm far from an expert, but would rather have a camera which was better than my skills, compared to me being too good for the camera

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
I see what your saying Justin but on the other hand i cannot justify spending that much on a new DSLR and i don't really want a used one. If i like the bridge and want something better in the future i will no doubt upgrade

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
I've just looked at the prices of the fuji s5700 on amazon-uk. good lord... I bought mine for about £90 and sold it for 60 a year later to a friend.

I think I should have kept it and ebay'd it .. £200 !!!? :dead:

Golf GT TDI, IS220d
As if amazon are charging that, there around £100 - £110 most other places!

Ian

Focus TDCi
They weren't that much new! I paid £190 for one in summer 2007 with a case and memory card. When I sold it in January this year they were going for £90 new and I let it go for £60!