ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help. Need options, my gearbox don't like 5th gear anymore

It's finally died totally, need to know options I can use other than the Clio options

Its a phase 1 172, I love the car but reality is its not worth spending loads of money on plus it needs a dephaser doin too

Where is any good Clio breakers kicking about, what would a engine and gearbox set me back or what other box options is there ?

Sad butt I really love this car even though it is old now

I just realised my membership no longer allows me to see the for sale section, just my luck,

Is there a few people with boxes for sale at the min on here, when I first got the Clio I joined and discovered not muh for sale as other sites

Whats the average price for a Clio gearbox and is there a longer ratio box from say a laguna alternative I could consider too that anyone is aware would fit ?

Sorry to ask just I'm annoyed that I have just sorted out the throtle issue I have had and my box dies

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Ideally you need a 172 ph1 box. If you buy one from a ph2 they run the speedo off the ABS rings. The ph1 have a speedo drive in the box.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but is a 12 year old clio really worth spending all that money on?! Belts and dephaser; £600, box £150 (ish) plus fitting.

You can buy a running one for what you're about to spend!

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Doesn't the 172 Cup box work with the speedo drive in the box?

I guess it depends how much you love the car to have it fixed. I smashed all the teeth off 5th gear and cracked the gearbox casing on my phase 1 clio 172, i bought another gearbox from Cit-Ren and paid someone £250 to swap them over

London, I'm thinking better the devil though this one is very High miles now, maybe a engine and gearbox in 1 hit maybe, thing isnthisnis my daily and my impreza is also off the road too :(