ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help Identify Loud Donk?

GCC

1.2Clio / 182!!
There will be some play in drop links, though they're not the same as the one's that link to the shock struts. Got the same issue on a 1.2 that was cured by the little links being changed... have a look at what you have on there, it may be fine, but you may see the rubber is knackered...
Checked the ARB D bushes??

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Bear in mind if you're driving with a broken spring and you know about it, it would be frowned upon in a very negative way if you had an accident directly relating to sudden loss of control of the vehicle or part of the spring ejecting from the vehicle and causing an accident otherwise.

I was warned of this in November when one of mine broke. I just garaged it til the springs arrived.

If its proper cup suspension, it will be a 182 Cup specific spring. Yellow and blue dots on the front springs iirc.
I fitted Cooksports as the Renault genuine ones were £105 ea and the Cooksports were £120 for all four.

Cooksport out of stock at moment though. DO NOT go for the GSF/ECP type springs.
as far as I can tell cooksport springs 144 for just one?

http://cooksport.co.uk/product-CooksportRSClioSprings.html

182 BG
They don't 'silly' lower it... I wasn't 100% sold on the idea of lowering my 182 on cooksports but the springs needed changing anyway... Ride height is literally 20mm lower, and the wheels don't go into the arches at all, its literally spot on! Could not think of a better upgrade for 144 quid! Nice and easy to fit too

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
AlexW kindly just loaned me a spring so I can get the car back on the road. so ill get that in tomorrow.

ok ill get the cooksport ones, ill order tomorrow
They don't 'silly' lower it... I wasn't 100% sold on the idea of lowering my 182 on cooksports but the springs needed changing anyway... Ride height is literally 20mm lower, and the wheels don't go into the arches at all, its literally spot on! Could not think of a better upgrade for 144 quid! Nice and easy to fit too

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Ok taken things to bits and this is what I've got, don't think the spring is broken but has been dislodged.

Would people agree?

DSC_0363_zpsofygkjmz.jpg

DSC_0364_zps1cjw7dk5.jpg

But I do have a crack here, is this a problem?

DSC_0365_zpsql0dneps.jpg

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok interestingly just driven the car and the noise is back so the spring must be working it way out!

what could cause this dodgy spring or dodgy spring cup holder thing?

JMR

RB 182 Cup
thanks,

I note they lower the car, don't really want the car to be lowered 😧

I really didn't want mine to be lowered, but I didn't want to just replace one when I could do all four for not much more.
Turns out the opposite side front had a crack in it too.

They drop the car 15-20mm on a Cup.
Probably looks better for it.
Handles better.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Looks snapped

took everything to bits again yesterday as after putting the spring back into the cup it was still making a donking noise.

DSC_0373_zpslsu0idr6.jpg

the top cup where the spring had come out of looks like this, its got lots of scratching around it -
DSC_0370_zpsq1rrrq9b.jpg

where as the other side (drivers side) the top cup doesn't

DSC_0372_zps92enzbw2.jpg

so not sure where to go now? how do I tell if the damper has gone?
the spring is in its cup but still making noises, I know its the spring cos I can feel it through the steering wheel

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
That looks broke to me! Replace them both if you can.

Dampers usually look wet when they've gone, and if you bounce the car it'll keep bobbing for a bit after you stop.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
That looks broke to me! Replace them both if you can.

Dampers usually look wet when they've gone, and if you bounce the car it'll keep bobbing for a bit after you stop.
didn't notice it looked wet but then again I wasn't looking. will try bouncing car tomorrow
Is the piston fully extended?

Damper looks knackered to me?!
no idea but something really isn't right and it still making horrible noises

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
didn't notice it looked wet but then again I wasn't looking. will try bouncing car tomorrow

no idea but something really isn't right and it still making horrible noises

Well the piston should be fully extended on its own

If you have to manually pull it up then it is goosed

Easy to tell

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok that means taking it to bits for the third time lol

shame the weather is crap all week

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah

I think my damper is knackered on the passenger front as i get a weird knock over certain bumps lts doing my head in!

Will get it checked over by rentech aswell as fitting spacers and cooksports come payday

Cant wait :)

Listerine & Poledo
It'll cost more, but replacing your OEM spring with OEM isn't a bad thing.
Not everyone wants to give their car "lowz", but that is a strange concept to many CS'ers.
Only thing I would say is that you'll want to change springs in pairs, so genuine Renault parts will costs twice what a full set of [whichever aftermarket kit you go for].

But at least it's still an original car. Besides, start whacking lowering springs on old dampers and next thing you know it's time to replace the dampers all round too....suddenly the "savings" for going low aren't as good as they sounded originally.

Many.
Thats alright IMO. Does it have the same force required to push it in and pull it out roughly?

I very much doub its the actual damper though.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
think so, it fully extends. I didn't need to pull it out

I put the spring you gave me in tonight, so it cant be the spring, its not the damper then wtf....
Thats alright IMO. Does it have the same force required to push it in and pull it out roughly?

PH2 172
took everything to bits again yesterday as after putting the spring back into the cup it was still making a donking noise.

DSC_0373_zpslsu0idr6.jpg

the top cup where the spring had come out of looks like this, its got lots of scratching around it -
DSC_0370_zpsq1rrrq9b.jpg

where as the other side (drivers side) the top cup doesn't

DSC_0372_zps92enzbw2.jpg

so not sure where to go now? how do I tell if the damper has gone?
the spring is in its cup but still making noises, I know its the spring cos I can feel it through the steering wheel
The top spring cap should not be internally scratched like that as its part of the total shock assembly.
The top cap is making contact with the rubber bearing holder on the underside of the suspension turret,so it cannot rotate with the spring/shock.
The likely cause is an incorrect fitment of the top mount bearing,a bearing failure or a mismatch of old & new genuine superseded components,that need modification to work.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The top spring cap should not be internally scratched like that as its part of the total shock assembly.
The top cap is making contact with the rubber bearing holder on the underside of the suspension turret,so it cannot rotate with the spring/shock.
The likely cause is an incorrect fitment of the top mount bearing,a bearing failure or a mismatch of old & new genuine superseded components,that need modification to work.
thanks for the info

the only part ive changed in the suspension setup is the rubber top mount and that's been in a year and not making any noises.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182

how does this bearing seem?
doesn't sound great