ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - External hard drive

MkV Golf R32
I don't know where to begin really, had a quick look through the search function but doesnt really help me.

Can a harddrive be used to store films on and then played back through a TV? Does it have to be played via a ps3 etc? Just dont have to keep all the dvds out.

Any ideas on a decent one for not alot of money.

I would like one fairly portable.

I am rubbish with all this kinder stuff.

Thanks for any help given.

David.

Giulietta 940
Well it depends on how new your TV is. I know a few of the more recent ones have USB ports allowing you to connect external hard drives, and play media. Otherwise you will have to connect your external USB drive to a PS3 (or mini PC/laptop), and view your media via there.

I've found the Western Digital external hard drives have been the best so far (I've been through about 5 external hard drives, and the WD is the only one still going). Try www.ebuyer.com for prices and sizes....

Giulietta 940
I *think* the latter (the Passport version) is more for carrying around with you, due to the security features. The first one seems to be more for home use.

MkV Golf R32
Cheers for that, think I have decided to go for a media player plus an external hard drive mentioned above.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good media player?

I 'think' the passport drive is one that wouldn't require an external power source. However i never looked at the specs :)