ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! Engine Conversion

Civic Vtec y0

I have a 1995 Clio MK1 but the engine has seen better days as it has covered over 130K. Now my car has a 4 speed box which I recently had refubished as I believe the 4 speed opens the car up a lot better. Now over the past while I have got my hands on 2 spare engines, 1 is a 1.8rsi with everything thats in the engine bay (Starter, power steering pump ect) and the other is a 1.4 but this is just the engine block its self.

Now my car does not have power steering and I need to know if this would pose any problems when putting the new engine in as both of them have power steering? Or if I just put the 1.4 engine block in would this just be like a stright swap for a 1.2 block?

I hope this makes sense to some of you!

172 cup'd extreme

why you not putting the rsi engine in then?
your will need a rsi steering rack and get the power steering working

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

shouldnt be a problem i wouldnt have thought. The PAS pump will be belt driven, just try and get a belt from a non-PAS and remove the pump. I think.

lol

You should be able to drop the 1.4 engine in and swap over anything from your 1.2 that you need to remove the PAS from the 1.4 - they are both energy engines i take it?

If youve got everything from the rsi then bung it in - may as well get a s/h PAS rack and column to keep it simple and gain PAS. Beyond that it should all be ok id have thought?

Civic Vtec y0

So if i change the steering rack for the RSi one and also add the PAS pump will it just be a case of changing the blocks over and also adding the PAS pump? not forgetting breaks and stuff?

Yes;

Rip the 1.2 out,
Fit the PAS rack,
Fit a PAS steering column (as the manual one you have atm is too short to reach the PAS rack),
Fit the 1.8 engine in and connect everything up (reservoirs etc)

Id post up to see if the 1.2 fuel pump will be up to the job...i think it should be as they get retained on GTT conversions. Beyond that it should be plain sailing...i take it you have the 1.8 ECU/loom etc?