ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help! cars in bits.

phase 1 Clio 172
Just about managed to get the timing belt on phase 1 172, now onto the auxilary belt kit. The belt gsf gave me appears to be 20mm shorter than the original belt. Gsf tell me there are only two belts one with aircon one without, and mine is the correct one for the car (with aircon). Is there any reason for this difference. Also Haven't taken inlet manifold off yet to do the plugs as i have gone to work. Just wondering what sort of gasket is there, or is it o-rings? Need to know what to order up before i take it all off. Any help would be awesome!

Lots of Alfas
Make sure the belt is routed correctly, or by 20mm short do you mean youve put it side by side to the old belt?? If thats the case its the wrong belt. The aux belt kit should include belt, tensioner and idler.

Correct routing:

img0049xl7.jpg

Megane 225
When I changed mine I got a Conti Belt, it was slightly shorter than the 1 that came off, but with a bit of swearing it fitted. As said above, make sure it's routed correctly.

ITB'd MK1
the standard belt is a 6pk1661. non genuine belts are thicker. they're actually the same length, but due to the way a serpantine belt runs the extra thickness has the effect of making it shorter. you need a 6pk1663

phase 1 Clio 172
cheers for the quick replies. So what i'm getting from the various answers is it will go on but will be fookin tight. Will this cause premature wear on idlers and tensoirs though. Cheers for the help, i'm up at 6am tommorow after finishing work at 1am tonight to try and get it done.:(

ITB'd MK1
you may eventually get it to go on, but you're going to struggle. I spent an hour fighting with a belt a few weeks back, then stopped and insisted on a genuine item, which went on in 3 minutes

Lots of Alfas
I wouldnt risk it as its already a weakish spot of the engine. If youve got the idler and tensioner from the kit youve bought, Id go to Renault and buy the belt on its own, its only about £10.

phase 1 Clio 172
Ended up getting a belt from renault and it went on very easy. To make things much easier next time i drilled a smallish slot opposite to the tensioner on a support bracket. This allows a 3/8 extension bar to go the tensioner with a ratchet and makes getting the aux belt on and off a piece of p*ss.

As has been said before it is possible to do the job yourself if you have a bit of common and some practical skills. Admittedly i borrowed the cam/crank locking tools from a friend but had i had to buy these it would put my total spend to £200 give or take not a bad saving but it did take me 2 and a half mornings to complete.

Also getting the bumper and light off were much easier than i was led to believe. Oh and once again Cheers for every bodies help!