ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help buying new tv

Alfa GT
Looking to buy a new tv, but unsure what's best to go for.

criteria: 50 inches plus, 3D and the budget is £950.

Any recommendations?

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I know it's not 3D but is the OP sure he wants that lol, it's a dead format... I'd take 4K over 3D any day!

PH2 172
I know it's not 3D but is the OP sure he wants that lol, it's a dead format... I'd take 4K over 3D any day!

I agree 3D is a waste of time I have two Samsung LED 3D teles 40" + 46", smart hub n all that nonsense, and I've probably used 3D twice, its a big fuss over nothing IMO, plus you've got too wear them annoying glasses

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Agreed 3d should be the last stipulation unless you're really going to get the most out of it. Minimum is 55" these days mate.

Hope you're well by the way, long time no see on here!

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
I would want a smart TV though basically because PS4/XBO don't bloody have 4oD! (for free) really annoying, thus why atm I'm sticking to a dumb TV lol with my PS3.

Jonnio

ClioSport Club Member
  Punto HGT Abarth
Really don't understand the hate for 3D, has nobody played a decent game with it?

I agree 3D is a waste of time I have two Samsung LED 3D teles 40" + 46", smart hub n all that nonsense, and I've probably used 3D twice, its a big fuss over nothing IMO, plus you've got too wear them annoying glasses
Same here when I was looking. I decided it was a waste of time, so I just got a regular TV.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
If anyone would use it it would be CJ! <3 his film love!

Clio 172
I use my 3D loads. But I watch a stupid amount of films. It's worth it if you use it! :) given the option though... 4K would be my first choice! I only use the 3D so much because I have it as an option!

in answer to the thread, latest iv had from a mate who works in curries selling TVs, anything sony is got at the moment. Samsung and Panasonic are also top. :)

I picked up a 55W829 (2014) 55" Sony LED 3D today from Currys (I know, I'd have preferred Richer Sounds or JL, but they wouldn't price match) for £1,049.

This was listed at £1,099 (down from £1,349 iirc) but I used my O2 priority to get £50 off, plus you get either a soundbar and sub or a 3D bluray player (worth about £115 each). JL/RC were £1,179-£1,199. So my man maths says it's cost me about £950ish if I sell the freebie.

14403672749_6f952d3a66_b.jpg

Stunning TV. Scored pretty well in most reviews too (better than the 2014 W9):

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kdl50w829b-201403023650.htm
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs/1306993/sony-bravia-kdl-50w829b
http://www.whathifi.com/review/sony-kdl-50w829b

And Sony don't usually fit onto VESA mounts, but it looks like the 2014 range are now compatible. Well, it's on my wall.

I'm massively impressed with the 55W829. If you can stretch to it, I'd recommend it.

The only downside I see is the limited viewing angle, but coming from a Plasma that's obvious.

[pictures do it no justice]

14603958281_b1f0423095_b.jpg

14584197886_12e05c614f_b.jpg

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
We bought the 55w905 a couple of months back and its awesome. Its the 2013 model as the 2014 model has a stupid curved back.