ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heavy clutch - symptom it needs replacing?

I've test driven a 182 Cup and a Trophy lately and they both had very heavy clutches, in particular the Trophy.

Is this a sign they need replacing?

I thought my Subaru had a heavy clutch but the Trophy I drove today was x10 times worse.

Thanks.

clio 182 trophy
Yeah, all clio clutches are fairly heavy. Very entertaining when you get in another car and nearly put your foot through the firewall!
Flol yeah almost did this trying to drive my mrs fiesta diesel. Must have been comedy watching me going down the road. I will highlight trying, my clutch on the trophy is heavy as f**k in comparison.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Why do people think a heavy clutch means it needs replacing/it's worn? Genuine question.

Why do people think a heavy clutch means it needs replacing/it's worn? Genuine question.

I can't remember the reason I was told to be honest, something with the material wearing out or the spring.

Yes, tell me about it when you drive another car afterwards.

Edit: beaten to it!

Impreza RB5 #054
All the sporty Renault I've had over the years have had heavy clutches, 3x 5GTT, 2x 19 16v, 2x Clio sports, have all had short throw heavy clutches.

RX7 FD
Over on FocusSTOC people were complaining of how heavy the ST clutch is. Bunch of pansies.

The Trophy was way heavier, mans car IIRC.

Trophy, Flamer, BG
I've recently bought a 172 and the clutch on that is much heavier than the clutch on my trophy! Suspecting 172 may need a new clutch after reading the above posts. That or I'm going to have one really strong leg lol

FF Clio 182
Just fitted a brand new Valeo unit and it is surprisingly lighter than the one I removed. The old clutch did look like it had been in there from factory though .....

FF Clio 182
When I first bought a 182 I noticed have much heavier they are but you get use to it. People need to man up a little ...

Just fitted a brand new Valeo unit and it is surprisingly lighter than the one I removed. The old clutch did look like it had been in there from factory though .....

Good to know. At what mileage did you replace and what did it set you back?

FF Clio 182
Mileage is 103k but after removing it, it looked like it had been there the life of the car. Didn't have many miles left on it at all. Only reason I replaced it was due to failure of the thrust bearing. Pulled it out and fell to pieces in my hand. I ended up going with a Valeo as that's who makes clutches for Renault and was on offer at ECP for £100.

Thrust bearing .... That should be one piece, all the ball bearing are all over the floor

7ef5c26ef3999af8ac427042015ac7ac.jpg

Phase 2 Iceberg 172
Am I the only person who thinks the clio sport clutches are light/normal? I used to own a mr2 turbo and that was bloody heavy, driving the thing to the shops was a work out for the left leg!

I replaced the clutch on my 172, because it was worn, not because it was heavy. The new one is no lighter, just not slipping.

Its not just the sports though in my opinion, the clutch on my dCi is noticeably heavier than on the petrol equivalent.

clio 182 trophy
The heavy clutch makes for great fast gear changes. What it doesn't help with though is getting stuck in traffic on the motorway ect. Pain in the ass then.

Clio Trophy
I can remember when I 1st test drove my trophy and asked the owner why the clutch won't go down, then realised I was not pressing it down hard enough

Is it an easy job to replace at home? Nothing too intense like the cambelt jobby?

I'd like to know this as well but I imagine you would need a crane to support the gearbox. The difficulty I assume is during refitting when you have to lift the gearbox.

FF Clio 182
I'd like to know this as well but I imagine you would need a crane to support the gearbox. The difficulty I assume is during refitting when you have to lift the gearbox.

Lower subframe on one side and support on axel stands. Support engine with jack on the sump, undo gearbox mount and slide gearbox away from engine. Rest gearbox on subframe or on another jack. If gearbox is on a jack it's slightly easier and you don't have to try and lift it up, you just just focus your energy on sliding it into place and let the jack take the weight.