ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heatsheild driving me nuts!

A friend of mine thought he was being hilarious when he decided to grab my exhaust and shake it roughly from side to side (and this is someone who said cars are his life and nearly murdered me for dripping tea on his ek9?!) and he has as such, managed to damaged my underbody heat shield so it now rattles against the exhaust. I can't deal with the nosie anymore, it sounds like a jackhammer inside and outside the car.
I got underneath it and manged to try and push it up flat, which cured the rattle but i can't get far enough under it to put any real pressure on it.

My question is: Can this metal flashing just be taken out entirely? When i touched it, it looked like d**khead above managed to damage it off a bolt so it sort of wobbles/pivots on a remaining bolt. Can it all come away or does there need to be something there to protect other components?

182cup & 172 racecar
The heatsheild usually rips. Take off nut, get a large washer, and replace. Standard fix for this.

FF 182
Maybe check the little metal clips aswell? One of mine had come loose which was causing it to rattle against the exhaust.

Westfield, 182, 200
I bought a new nut! But it kept slipping as if the thread was worn, so bought some spire nuts??, they work on a self tapping thread the same as the original, but i used a smaller one with a large outside diameter washer-worked a treat.

Westfield, 182, 200
Probably ok in this weather, but imagine the heat off the silencers stuck in a traffic jam when it's 25 degrees outside?? The boot would get very hot!

Personally, I'd jack the back end of the car up and fix the heatsnield.

Ian.

FF Clio 182
Does anyone actually run without this heatshield? (Assuming it's the one above the back box)

If it was the one by the CAT or the manifold then I would fix it as they get extremely hot but for the back box I wouldn't bother. Mine broke couple weeks back so I just ripped it off and haven't had any problems. Saves weight also ;)

Cup In bits
Iff it cant be repaired as above then rip it off, aslong as its not the one at the fuel tank as it could potentially melt through the tank and also keep the one at h/brake, gearstick area as it can heat bushes and cables. Everything else don't worry, standard practice is to remove them in the trade, no body wants to pay the crazy prices that some of these heat shields cost from manufacturers.