ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight washer not working- poor voltage

2003 172
My Clio failed its mot the other day for headlight washers not working.
Seeing as 99% of the time it's the pump, I bought a new one. When plugged into the windscreen wash, it sprays the headlights fine.

But I get nothing when using the headlight washers. The lights are on during my tests.

Now, I've noticed that the windscreen washers gets a nice 12v to them during use.

But the headlight washers get a quick spike to 10v ish, and drop immediately back to 0v. I assume this is incorrect.

Does anyone know what could be causing this!? (I assume it should be 12v, the -12v for about 1-2 secs?)

2003 172
In case anyone ever has the same issue....

The voltage to the pump seems normal- it probably was very briefly hitting 12v but the multimeter wasn't keeping up.
My issue turned out to be:
- Broken headlight washer pump.
- 2 broken relays under the glove box(far left- closest to the pass door).
- Broken plug to the pump.

No wonder it's taken me 3 evenings to sort.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Washer pumps are controlled by a relay external to the UCH IIRC and can be found on the back of the UCH itself. I'd bet it'll be a corrosion issue in a multiple somewhere though so you'll either have to pull it to pieces yourself to find it or pay someone to do it for you.

Mick

EDIT - Just noticed your reply saying you'd fixed it... nice one!