ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

head gasket replacement prices

mini cooper R50
Hi, just wondering if any of you,s have have to have a cylinder head gasket replaced and how much it cost.

Bought my mk2 clio grande 3 weeks ago and its been a headache to say the least, flexi pipe on the cat is cracked, cat seems like it could be blocked as it has very little power but ok once its away, a possible cylinder head gasket replacement (maybe the rocker cover gasket, have to take it back to the garage to let them have another look). Inerior light only works when pushed in manually, a water leak and the passenger side door window is totally dead.

I bought this from a lady I know (well it was her sons, but he has moved to America), so thought it was going to be ok but how wrong was I :(

Any replies would be a help :approve:

Jap Box
Sounds like a right ball ache for you!

Prices obviously depend on the garages, so its best to ring about for prices on getting it done. Have you checked the cap for mayo type stuff? Thats the first sign of the head gasket.

With the interior light, take the cover off and look at the bulb, if its one of the LED ones I have the same problem, only works on either constant or when doors open, dependant on the way its been put in there, however if flipped over to be on door open mode the light will be on 100% of the time but very dimly lit after the doors are closed so I would advise against it.

Do you know the location of the water leak? Ive got it coming in through the drivers side door and pooling in the footwell :(

Not had the best of luck with my car either so its not just you :p Ive had to have 2 wheel bearings, front lower suspension arms, handbreake cables, handbreak welded back on, new tyres and various other small bits.

What year is your car? and Engine size?

mini cooper R50
Thanks for the reply, not had the chance to look at the oil filler cat as of yet but will do tomorrow.
Wish my door lights would work when the doors are opened lol, pain in the butt when the kids are trying to fasten their seat belts.

was under the car with the mechanic last week, he sprayed the engine to clear the oil (from the suspect cylinder head/rocker cover) and thats when I saw the water dripping, it's on the side where the timing and alternator belts are but from where we couldn't see clearly.

The lady who i bought it off had just spent £450 on it in April getting all the front and back suspention replace and other bit and bobs, then two new back tyres lol, car is on a w - plate (2000) and its a 1.2 Grande

Sorry to hear about your car Kerry-w, they all can be a pain in the hoop at times :(

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm not really sure what you're asking?

The original question, re the Head gasket, I pay somewhere in the region of about £150-£180 for a 1.2 8v clio. (Thats supplied, fitted, and head skim) Not including replacement belts etc.

As for the rest of the car, did you have your eyes shut when you bought it??