ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hazard Lights Button...

Clio Dynamique Noir
Turned my hazard lights on, and now they wont turn off! The button wont stay in. Ive had to stick it down with gaffa tape....anyone got any ideas how to fix this please?

Thank yoou!

rb182 cup
think its a common fault...cant suggest how to fix it...but if you need a new button theres loads cheap on ebay

SG9 Forester STi
I had this once too, seems a common problem.

I just unplugged it from the back and bought a new one.

Clio Dynamique Noir
Is it not something that I can fix? Where did you guys buy yours from please?

Black 172
I thought I'd have a go at fixing...
This is what it looks like inside

haz.jpg

It's fiddly and I wouldn't know where to start going about fixing it! Doubt it's worth trying when a new one's a tenner.

I've just bought a new one for £10.40 from "all4cars" on eBay...

I could put a guide up on how to replace if there isn't one already, but it's very easy.

Clio Dynamique Noir
Thanks people for your help! Its rather annoying, I think unplugging it sounds like a better idea than tape! :eek:

Pendulum if you could put a thread or even a few pics of where to start I would be very greatful please! Thanks a lot!

Also do you think ebays a better option than Renault directly? They going to try and charge me £30 for it?

Black 172
Ok

Get a small flat bladed screwdriver and a bit of cloth or a rag.

i1.jpg

Put the cloth or rag over the tip of the screwdriver to avoid marking the trim

Insert the screwdriver into the top of the panel and then prise it out like so (using the fingers of your other hand to help):

i2.jpg

Now pull the panel outwards...

i3.jpg

Turn the panel so that the triangle button faces the roof of the car to get at the connector.
Press and hold the tab on the connector down (in the below picture my thumb is on the tab holding it down) and then pull the plug apart from the switch

i4.jpg

Feed the now disconnected switch through the front to remove it:

i5.jpg

Now on eBay there are some sellers selling the switch plus the triangle plate, and others just selling the switch and you need to re-use your old triangle plate. If you need to reuse your old triangle plate, just pull it off the old switch by hand:

i6.jpg

Then you can just push it on the new switch.

To fit the new switch just feed it through the fascia plate, connect it up at the back, and press the panel (that you prised off with the screwdriver) back in to place

Easy

Good guide but i put a small screw driver down the side of the switch and popped the triangle off the unclipped the switch easier imo.

Black 172
As long as you don't damage the paint on the side of the switch when you prise it off! I actually started off the way you did, but noticed the paint is easily scratched, and if you scratch that paint then the red light shines through it and you really notice! Check out the picture second from last (towards left) and you can see a bit of red on the triangle where the paint came off where the screwdriver was... that's why removing the panel is better IMO!

Scratching the triangle only matters if you're buying a switch without the triangle of course. If you don't need to reuse your own then it doesn't matter.

Clio Dynamique Noir
Thanks for that Pendulum, really appreciate that. Hazard light button is now out and will be ordering a new one next week. Nothing scratched either. Wrapped a cloth around the screwdriver...
Thanks for your advice too Jack!

Clio II Face III
Hi pendulumx[FONT=Tahoma, Geneva, sans-serif],[/FONT]

I do it too and replace it with the new one I bought from ebay.

53 plate 172
I had this problem but replacing the switch has not solved the issue. Was okay at first but a few hours later constant flashing and pressing the switch on and off has no effect.

Have disconnected for now but my MOT is due next week.

Any suggestions pls?

Seem to remember reading about the alarm could be the problem but haven't found that particular thread yet.

BMW 840i Gran Coupe
Holy thread resurrection batman etc etc, but thanks Pendulumx for the step by step. Just sorted mine.

Renault Clio 172 cup
I had this problem but replacing the switch has not solved the issue. Was okay at first but a few hours later constant flashing and pressing the switch on and off has no effect.

Any suggestions pls?

Seem to remember reading about the alarm could be the problem but haven't found that particular thread yet.

Any suggestions pls?

Hi Gambler.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem?

My car has started flashing the hazards and won’t stop even if the switch is disconnected. At the moment it is parked and I have disconnected the battery as the current fix.

Many thanks

Ian

53 plate 172
Hi Gambler.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this problem?

My car has started flashing the hazards and won’t stop even if the switch is disconnected. At the moment it is parked and I have disconnected the battery as the current fix.

Many thanks

Ian

Sorry Ian, my car has been sat abandoned on my driveway for the past 3.5 years.

Think it passed the MOT at the time though!

Renault Clio 172 cup
Sorry Ian, my car has been sat abandoned on my driveway for the past 3.5 years.

Think it passed the MOT at the time though!
In case you ever decide to resurrect your car I did find the problem. It’s the alarm unit.

You can unplug it you need to remove the wiper blade arms, remove the scuttle panel, remove the three bolts that hold the wiper motor and arm mechanism in place, then you can get to the alarm. There are 4 small screws on the top of it, remove them and you will reach the connector. Pull upwards to remove it. I took the whole unit out as it was a bit more weight saved for something that was causing me grief.