ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hangouts gets SMS integration.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Great as the standard SMS app is horrendous. Quite looking forward to this. That said I rarely SMS anymore. Most of my conversations are FB Chat or WhatsApp

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I was a strong advocate of Blackberry and BBM for years (I still miss the secure email) but honestly, I disagree with that article Tom.

BBM is great (I downloaded it and had a play with Gray the other night and then promptly removed it fnaar fnaarr) but it offers nothing over the already well established alternatives, the main one IMO being WhatsApp. Granted WA doesn't have SMS intergration (yet) but neither does BBM and in truth I don't think the majority of users give a hoot.

WhatsApp has been a paid service for a while now to and as most have paid up I don't think they'll move. The same applies to Googles Hangout... no real incentive in the form of features to move other than it looks nicer than the native Android SMS app.

I was a strong advocate of Blackberry and BBM for years (I still miss the secure email) but honestly, I disagree with that article Tom.

BBM is great (I downloaded it and had a play with Gray the other night and then promptly removed it fnaar fnaarr) but it offers nothing over the already well established alternatives, the main one IMO being WhatsApp. Granted WA doesn't have SMS intergration (yet) but neither does BBM and in truth I don't think the majority of users give a hoot.

WhatsApp has been a paid service for a while now to and as most have paid up I don't think they'll move. The same applies to Googles Hangout... no real incentive in the form of features to move other than it looks nicer than the native Android SMS app.

BBM offers lots over WhatsApp, main thing being the security and it being pin based instead of using phone numbers!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
True but surely it's only as secure as your device as the App starts up without the need for any additional login details? If you haven't got security activated someone can still pickup your device and read your chat history and send something malicious if they so wanted (as it is in WhatsApp, Google, FBM, Etc).

Security like this is only really attractive to businesses rather than your average 20yr old sending pictures of their tits to blokes.

I'm glad you mentioned PINS to as I always found them annoying even as a RIM-Boy. Quick codes are equally as bad to as you physically need to exchange details like its 1991 all over again where as WhatsApp just scans your devices contacts App and automatically adds peoples numbers from your phone book that also use the service... far more simple than saying to someone "What's you PIN" and then everyone looking at you like you've got AIDS.

Mick

PS: I honestly used to love RIM/BB/BBM but they should have done this nearly two years ago now rather than clinging to it like some kind of avantgarde premium service.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Hangouts is vastly superior to whatsapp when you consider what it can do across almost very platform.

Whatsapp is great, it's extremely lightweight and barely falls over, but it's limited.

BBM is just s**t. It's a 5 year old system.

True but surely it's only as secure as your device as the App starts up without the need for any additional login details? If you haven't got security activated someone can still pickup your device and read your chat history and send something malicious if they so wanted (as it is in WhatsApp, Google, FBM, Etc).

Security like this is only really attractive to businesses rather than your average 20yr old sending pictures of their tits to blokes.

I'm glad you mentioned PINS to as I always found them annoying even as a RIM-Boy. Quick codes are equally as bad to as you physically need to exchange details like its 1991 all over again where as WhatsApp just scans your devices contacts App and automatically adds peoples numbers from your phone book that also use the service... far more simple than saying to someone "What's you PIN" and then everyone looking at you like you've got AIDS.

Mick

PS: I honestly used to love RIM/BB/BBM but they should have done this nearly two years ago now rather than clinging to it like some kind of avantgarde premium service.

Yes, they can do however most people have passwords. I could take the sim out your phone, put it in mine and then receive your whatsapp messages. You can't do this with BBM.

Yeah pins are annoying but it's so easy to send your pin to someone I don't think it's too much of a bad point to be honest. I can send someone my pin within 10 seconds.

Yeah they should have done it years ago, and they didn't which has put them behind. 10 million downloads in 24 hours on release day isn't too bad though tbh!

There are more features coming out soon (such as HD voice and video calling and screen sharing(already available on BB10 devices) which will be free). Yes competition is facetime and skype, but facetime isn't cross platform and skype call quality is seriously s**t.

The other new feature is BBM Channels, currently in beta (I have it on my phone) which is pretty cool, but I'll leave you too look in to that if you are interested, I don't want to bore you!

Hangouts is vastly superior to whatsapp when you consider what it can do across almost very platform.

Whatsapp is great, it's extremely lightweight and barely falls over, but it's limited.

BBM is just s**t. It's a 5 year old system.

Whatsapp was down about three days ago.

Wouldn't really say it's s**t because it's a 5 year old system. iOS is 6 years old, does that make it s**t? No.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The service was up and down... I think it's playing up again today

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
BBM is brilliant if you're one of either:

A.) Work for a corporate dinosaur.
B.) Are a 12 year old girl.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Make my point for me.

BBM hasn't changed in 5 years, adding people with a pin is about as user friendly as semaphore

And I said it barely falls over.