ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Handling issues - back end seems over sensitive

Red Clio 197 F1
Hi guys,

Had my Phase 1 two years and been pretty good over all... however!

Recently I have been feeling a lot less confident with the cornering and back end stability.

It has done nearly 90k miles and there is a little squeaking coming from the rear suspension area.

Anyone recommend anything or experienced this before.

Car has been treated no differently over the last 2 years, but suddently it seems different

Tyre pressures ok?
Tyres getting low on tread?
Shocks getting tired/leaking?
Tracking and balancing all ok?

That's the only things I can think of at the moment! lol

SLK 350
The roads over the last week or so have been awful at times mate, i was saved on a roundaobut the other day by my ESP as the backend just completely went on me!

Winter roads, rain, diesel, oil, salt doesn't make for good traction!

Wheelspinning in 3rd isn't something i like to make a habit of!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
check the rear springs they tend to crack, aso 90k you may well have worn shocks

172 Flamer
I agree with ozzyo99, I've noticed a lot more over the last 2 or 3 weeks that I just haven't been able to put my foot down properly without front & rears twitching & sliding out in different directions beneath me! On roundabouts & in a straight line! I reckon it's all the windscreen wash & $hite on the roads (& probably tyres too) that create a mini-ice rink effect. Maybe get it checked over by Renault to be sure but I thinks it's just the time of year

2002 DCi 65
check your back springs IN DETAIL - i have a MK2 Ph1 and i had done 115K miles before i deceided to lower the car......i took the back springs off to find that 1 had broken completely at the base and 1 was split on the end! it would have failed an MOT, now with the new springs it feels ace

Red Clio 197 F1
Thanks for the info.

The tyres are new but a wider track (205 rather than 195), but know it won't be that.

I will get the shocks & springs checked as you guys have said .... my car is getting on a bit :-(

Thanks again, and I can certainly agree on the roads being a little tired - but this i feel is my car feeling a little under the weather!

VaVa
You say you have a wider tyres on.... Whilst that may increase the contact patch, wouldn't it also mean that less 'pressure' is being exerted through tyres as the weight is distrubuted through a lager area, thus mean less grip in bad conditions? may be wrong, just a thought.

Nippy white cup
Yep...the salt and s**t on the roads have made it really greasy! It`s rained a bit here today so hopefully it`ll wash it off a bit

Chris

Red Clio 197 F1
^^^ thanks lagerlout for the advice.

The track width and hence tyre pressure / larger surface area etc does make sense.

It is booked in to have it all checked out. Last nights journey made me very nervous - had an Audi A4 TDI on my boot as I went round a long sweeping bend - never had that before :-(

Just felt the back end was going to step out!!

Ziel Nurburgring
These greasy roads are a nightmare at the moment. Not worth arseing about unless it dry, just asking for trouble.

See what the garage say first. Looks like you have aftermarket suspension, how many miles has it done?