ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hand brake lights comes on and off in normal driving?

6/468 17poo
My mates got a 1.4 clio mk1 and he keeps complaining that the handbrake light keeps coming on and off whilst driving, what could that be a switch maybe?

Ryan

Mégane RS
mine did this when the brake fluid was low, turned ot one of the hoses was burst lol

www.renparts.co.uk
not sure on mk1's if they have pad wear sensors or if they have the same warnings for brake fluid, get him to check that first... if not just get him to take the handbrake surround off and check the copper contact. The setup is very simple, it may just be a case of bending the copper contact a little to stop it connecting when the handbrake is in the released position.

6/468 17poo
So very high chance of new rear shoes?ill have a look at his fluid and the copper contact underneath the surround cheers lads, nice one

Ryan

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
It has a sensors for pads for there not broken and shorting out on suspension strut causing the light to come on it has a brake fluid indicator as well.

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
There is a wire runing to the brake pad sensor, sometimes on both sides on the front only the wires break and earth out to metal i.e. the strut or car body and makes the light come on as this is what it does when the pad gets low it earths out to complete the circuit.

Handbrake switch is at the back of the handbrake lever its just one spade connector

Mercedes C Class Sport
check the brake fluid because in my mk2 that was the problem when this happened...but in my mk1 a few lights including the handbrake light came on and i had no oil lol