ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Halfords car head unit sale

172 Cup
I know its another thread about headunits and its probably going to be done on opinions but im looking to spend around £100 and there are a few good deals going on at the moment, im looking for ipod controls, maybe steering wheel controls and for it to charge my iphone 4s. Any recommendations as I want to get the best spec head unit for that price and it seems allot of them are similar in price. Thanks

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...1_catalogId_10151_categoryId_165474_langId_-1

Last edited:

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Why nit just get an adaptor for the standard headunit? Personaly i think aftermarket units look tacky

Austin
OEM ftw

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
OEM Head units are generally awful. Clio ones are definitely awful.

Alpine is generally the most recommended on here. I've only ever had them as I don't like any others as much.

Yes, an aftermarket unit will look tacky compared to anything OEM, but if you want better sound quality, connectivity and expandability (which many do) then you quite simply have no real choice other than an aftermarket unit.

172 Cup
Hmmm I have thought about the adaptor for the oem headunit but as that's £60 alone compared to a new headunit with better sound quality, Bluetooth ect for £100 it seems a bit of a waste...

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Supose its down to what people want like you say. I just like the general use of radio/ cd/ ipod songs. Still sounds decent enough for what i want.

Would upgrading speakers not be a good option to improve quality or does the actual unit itself make a big difference?

That's the thing the Renault Tunepoint (IIRC) will give you connectivity (and retain steering wheel controls without the need for an adaptor, as it works using the 6cd multichanger connector? IIRC) but you'll still bstuck with poor sound quality and no expandability. An aftermarket headunit will give much better sound quality (even with the standard speakers) but, if you do decide to go further, you'll be able to use amps new speakers etc.

Anything with orange/red illumination and matt black/grey (none of this glossy shiny cheap looking stuff) suits the PH2 interior nicely. Alpine are very popular for SQ (sound quality) and easy-to-use iPod navigation, but they come at a bit of a premium. Have you considered a second hand HU?

Look in the classifieds on here (after paying £12 for membership though, granted) Making a "what has anyone got under their bed" thread worked for me in the past. Offer £50 or whatever, someone's bound to have a 1 or 2 year old decent spec Alpine knocking around that they'll gladly get rid of for a fair price.

A.N. Other
If you just want to listen to MP3s on your phone, and control it with you phone, etc - look into the Parrot MKi9200 http://www.parrot.com/uk/products/hands-free-car-kits/parrot-mki9200.
It's plug & play to fit inbetween the headunit speaker & power wiring looms, does MP3 over bluetooth, has a remote you can put on the steering wheel (mine is just next to it), does full iphone/ipod control from the menus and will act as a decent handsfree phone kit. I think mine is great, and even on standard speakers it sounds ok. Will still be putting better speakers in soon though as I have a decent upgraded HU.

Clio Dynamique+ 1.4
Generally speaking, aftermarket can look s**te, but I personally think if you have the right headunit it can look decent, if not better. (it looks much nicer with the red set up, this was taken after I had just fitted it)

001cgnk.jpg

Renault clio 182
Generally speaking, aftermarket can look s**te, but I personally think if you have the right headunit it can look decent, if not better. (it looks much nicer with the red set up, this was taken after I had just fitted it)

001cgnk.jpg

How did you get it to say Renault.