ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Had a little 'mis-hap' today...

Renault clio 1.2
Was taking dad to work this morning, just dropped him off and was on my way home, Was probably driving a little too fast for the wet gravel road and turned a corner to go across a narrow bridge when the car started drifting across the road and the wheel then clipped the left hand post which you can see in the picture.
This pulled the drive shaft out and sheared the two bolts off on the bottom arm,
Also set of the air bag in the seat.

5d42b2a2.jpg

e12e30ea.jpg

99df63a8.jpg

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Whoops.

Could have been worse, at least there does not seem to be any bodywork damage.

Renault clio 1.2
yeahh, Wooops! haha. That is very true! only a broken mirror, but theres nothing too major.
Could of ended up in the river.
I will learn from my mistake thats the main thing.

Listerine & Poledo
These things happen, at least you didn't try to blame it on the gravel.... or some diesel.

05 clio dynamique
ouch.. i've hit a curb at 40 before and i thought i'd dinted my wheel in but luckily i'd only clipped it haha

Clio 220 Trophy
So come on then people, tell me how the hell you hit the post with no body damage then, there would at least be a clattered wheel arch!!!!!!!!, sure it wasn,t just mechanical failure?????

05 clio dynamique
So come on then people, tell me how the hell you hit the post with no body damage then, there would at least be a clattered wheel arch!!!!!!!!, sure it wasn,t just mechanical failure?????

If his wheel was sticking out due to sliding/drifting on the gravel he could of only clipped the wheel and ripped it outwards

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ouch. Expensive mistakes are always best. Stops you doing them again.

Maybe drive more sensible from now on.

Renault clio 1.2

It honestly did hit the post. the wheel was on full lock to the right to try and correct the slide and it just clipped it on the post and also smashed the mirror. so i got of quite lightly, Very lucky.

Renault clio 1.2
Ouch. Expensive mistakes are always best. Stops you doing them again.

Maybe drive more sensible from now on.

Not too expensive... But yes i will definatly learn from my mistake. I admit i was going a little fast and only have myself to blame.

Clio 220 Trophy
It honestly did hit the post. the wheel was on full lock to the right to try and correct the slide and it just clipped it on the post and also smashed the mirror. so i got of quite lightly, Very lucky.

Then my friend, count yourself very lucky, very lucky indeed

Liamm

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra GTC
You can see he hit the post, look at the tracks on the 2nd to last pic.
Very lucky that, I went round a roundabout a little too fast a year ago, (there was actually something on the road too but still should have gone slower) I bounced off a fence and dented all my rear arch in, even though it only felt like the front hit the fence :S lol

Renault clio 1.2
Everyone makes mistakes whilst driving, just some people make worse ones than others. Only think im annoyed about is the big hole in the seat where the airbag came through. But i suppose it did its job.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Done it myself when I was 18. Doesn't look too bad and valuable experience. Be reet.

On another note please stop writing 'could of'!! It's could've. Why's everyone writing this these days?! Yes I'm an old fart.

BMW M135i
Like what mate? I cant seem to find anything else wrong with it.
You don't shear the balljoint bolts without a lot of force, I may be wrong but from experience see if everything is still in the same place and aligns correctly after replacing.

I bent a wishbone with a glancing blow and it twisted the subframe too.

Bad news mate! As said there will be more damage than meets the eye! subframe,wishbone, tie rod, front strut and maybe a driveshaft!

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Bad times, I know the feeling too!

A week after passing my test (driving a Corsa b 1ltr lol) my mate under-took me in Asda car park! Wasn't expecting it and it scared the crap out of me and I swerved straight into a pole, but only my wheel hit it!

Needless to say I wasnt happy with my friend, but technically if I'd have stayed on my course and not swerved we wouldnt have crashed, I just panicked lol

In the end I sold the car back to the bloke I bought it from, the repair bill was more than it was worth, and the bloke said he would strip it then scrap the remaining shell.

I assume you have to replace the chair too if the air bag went off? Any injuries to yourself? They normally do more damage than the crash I hear. Luckily mine had no air bags haha

Renault clio 1.2
Bad times, I know the feeling too!

A week after passing my test (driving a Corsa b 1ltr lol) my mate under-took me in Asda car park! Wasn't expecting it and it scared the crap out of me and I swerved straight into a pole, but only my wheel hit it!

Needless to say I wasnt happy with my friend, but technically if I'd have stayed on my course and not swerved we wouldnt have crashed, I just panicked lol

In the end I sold the car back to the bloke I bought it from, the repair bill was more than it was worth, and the bloke said he would strip it then scrap the remaining shell.

I assume you have to replace the chair too if the air bag went off? Any injuries to yourself? They normally do more damage than the crash I hear. Luckily mine had no air bags haha

Oh dear, sounds nasty mate, :/ yeah just going to get hold of two front seats, the passenger one doesn't pull forward to let people in the back so might aswel get a pair. My dad works in the local scrap yard so im waiting for a clio to come in there.

Clio 220 Trophy
Done it myself when I was 18. Doesn't look too bad and valuable experience. Be reet.

On another note please stop writing 'could of'!! It's could've. Why's everyone writing this these days?! Yes I'm an old fart.

From one old fart to another , you could also write " could have " insted of could've, plus "Be reet" ??????????

Changes to often
im actualy quite impressed with how you have hardly any body damage lol, good effort

Renault clio 1.2
im actualy quite impressed with how you have hardly any body damage lol, good effort

Thanks. ;) i was so shocked when i got out and there was no other damage either. There was one hell of a bang. But i suppose that was the airbag going off.