ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HA Hyper-V CSV replication & backup

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Hey,

About to implement the following.

2 hosts connected to SAN.
Windows 2008 R2 Hyper-V
Cluster shared volumes
High Availability

What I am looking for is a good backup solution that allows for full virtual system recovery, but also granular file recovery from within a VM. It also has to provide replication over wan to a DR server. Oh and file server backup would be nice too ;)

So far I have come up with MSCDPM 2010, anyone successfully using anything else ? or report good things about MSCDPM 2010 ?

Very little backup solutions that support Hyper-V and CSV out there !

dk

911 GTS Cab
i'd implement a real grown up solution and go VMware you pikey ;)

If you insist on going for a second rate solution then i'd say DPM is your only real bet, think backup exec 2010 has a backup agent for hyper-shot now though so that could be an option as the vmware agent is very good, allows you to backup as flat files but restore individual files etc.

veeam is a very good product for vmware too and i have a feeling it now supports hyper-v too, does backup and replication in one.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Will second Veeam, been great for us. Although we are doing it properly and using VMWare too :p

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Don't have the budget for VMware and to be honest vmware is overkill when hyper-v will do live migration, failover etc everything I need really and as I have datacenter edition for both hosts I can have installed on as many guest vm's as I want with no extra licensing :D

I already looked at Veeam but they don't appear to support hyper-v yet, although it is in the works.

I think you are right, DPM is coming up as the best solution and as it is MS it's unlikely they will go bust ;)

PS I think you are gonna be surprised at how many people will start moving to it as vmware licensing can just get crazy that and all the 3rd party Allston need to take advantage of it fully !

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
PS I think you are gonna be surprised at how many people will start moving to it as vmware licensing can just get crazy that and all the 3rd party Allston need to take advantage of it fully !

VMWare licensing is nuts

dk

911 GTS Cab
VMware might be expensive but its easily the best out there, still at least a year ahead of everyone else, and for the small business theres a really cheap solution for 3 servers in the essentials plus package, costs peanuts!

The thing people forget about Hyper-V is the licensing for the MS OS base install still (unless you use the basic version but that brings its own issues) and having to utilise systems center to manage it properly, it also all adds up!

We are seeing a lot more hyper-v now but its still being trounced my vmware, you only have to demo it and people want it, plus everyone else is using it so people know they can trust it. We deal with the SMB market as well as mid market and still loads of smaller companies are going with vmware, its just a much more mature product, lots more expertise around it etc, and there the essentials plus which makes it affordable to small businesses.

For the bigger companies theres site recovery manager, which handles companies DR solution and test failover too, MS has nothing like this.

I looked at the veeam site KDF and it said now supports hyper-v, so i'd download it and see, its a free download to trial it.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Oh, there's no argument from me that VMWare is better, that's for sure. For what I need Hyper-V is adequate and I have weighed up the cost of a proper hyper-v backup solution. I was close to going down the Essentials Plus route but for various reasons I didn't bother (Cost being the most important one as I was licensed for Datacenter anyway).

I swear I checked Veeam a few days ago and I couldn't see Hyper-V support lol ! Will deffinately give it a try before making a decision.. bloody DPM was 2 gigs worth of download !

Thanks guys.

If you want CSV Backup + Item level recovery on from Hyper-V machines then DPM2010 will meet these requirements. The download is quite big but that is mainly due to SQL, the actual product is quite small.