ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

H&R coilover cleaning.

MkV Golf R32
Hi,

Currently have the front suspension off my car and need them cleaning up. I have most stuff like APC and AG machine cleaner etc...

Just wanted to know can you use malt vinegar on the parts with corrosion/rust? After seeing a thread on here about the cleaning power of vinegar I thought I could give it a go, just don't want to run the dampeners or seals etc.

Any advice would be great.

David.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW I4 M50
Autoglym Engine & Machine cleaner - you shouldn't need anything else... apply it, aggravate it with a brush and rinse it off. Brought my suspension up well...

Tar remover for the tar spots that will almost certainly be on the body of the dampers. Also, re the rust, a stiff brush and brush the rust off. Where is the rust? On the body of the shock or on the coilover thread?

MkV Golf R32
Well the locking rings are seized for starters so got to sort that. The corrosion is at the bottom of the dampener where it bolts to the car. Threads aren't too bad really. If the machine cleaner will be ok I'll use that, and say a soft wheel brush for the threads?

Cheers guys.

In that case, yes. The rust is not something you will be able to combat sadly. The simple fact is the amount of water and salt etc that gets thrown up makes it very likely that you'll get the rust re-occuring.

May I suggest, once you've managed to sort the locking rings, that you cover the rest of the thread in duck tape? This will protect the thread from grit and dirt, and duck tape is easier to remove than the above.

MkV Golf R32
Yeh i will do and cover everything in either wheel sealant or White grease.

Cheers for the help.