ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guzzling Oil?

C1 VTR (Company Car)
What can be other causes of oil going down rather fast?

Other than gasket and a leak? My oil is deffinetely going down faster than it should.. But I can't work out why.

It will also be heading in for a service next month aswell.

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
As above. I nearly ran mine dry one day and it must have done some damage. Mine can go from max to min in around 6 - 8 weeks. I get a cloud of smoke out of my exhaust now and again, so that where mine goes.

C1 VTR (Company Car)
As above. I nearly ran mine dry one day and it must have done some damage. Mine can go from max to min in around 6 - 8 weeks.

Pretty much the same to be honest.

That's what I thought but theres never any smoke that comes out my exhaust.

It doesn't help when, like this morning I got in and the dash reading was flashing empty, but i've got some miles left got into it about an hour ago at work and its showing its about a 1/3 full..

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Did you check the oil level when it flashed empty this morning, or did you just drive it? Don't trust the dash readout anyway mate, it's never really all that accurate. I would always use the dipstick personally.

To be honest you probably wouldn't notice it smoking whist driving unless it got really bad, if it's not leaking out it must be going out the exhaust, it's the only option

C1 VTR (Company Car)
Did you check the oil level when it flashed empty this morning, or did you just drive it? Don't trust the dash readout anyway mate, it's never really all that accurate. I would always use the dipstick personally.

To be honest you probably wouldn't notice it smoking whist driving unless it got really bad, if it's not leaking out it must be going out the exhaust, it's the only option

Is there anyway of my finding out if it is leaking though there?

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Mini x 2
Well it will smoke, so i'd get someone to follow you for a few miles and watch the exhaust for blue/white smoke.

If it's smoking, it'll be one of the things mentioned by Silent_Scone, valve stem seals at best, piston rings at worst. Would be worth getting it compression tested as that would be a good indicator that something isn't quite right in the cylinders.

If you're handy with the spanners either job can be done at home

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
Pretty much the same to be honest.

That's what I thought but theres never any smoke that comes out my exhaust.

It doesn't help when, like this morning I got in and the dash reading was flashing empty, but i've got some miles left got into it about an hour ago at work and its showing its about a 1/3 full..

I never trust that reading. That's how I ran mine dry in the first place.