ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gutted - Total Loss

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
insurance won't ream me as non fault. Can't be penalised for being in the wrong place at the wrong time I already asked them. All parties claimed against van driver so his will go up and serves his right too. That was my pride and joy oh and my life too. Just glad my kids were not present I was enroute to collect them.

Yes, that's the way things should work. Sadly you are now more likely to be in an accident than someone that's not. If you have an understanding insurance company then great, if not, you will be penalised come renewal time.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Aviva don't load for non-fault claims and I've found their CS good thus far. I'm not a high roller though, so I was keen to find somewhere that didn't charge me more.

182 FF
When I had a courtesy car when I bumped my old cup it was a brand new Nissan Pixo, still 4 times the value of my clio...even tho it was piss lol

derv biege barge
Yup what sc030tt said above.

​otherwise why is it noted as non fault?

Always dispute such nonsense. Logically makes no sense.

I wouldn't believe some nonsense because a company told me so. If they can't see my point then bye bye and take my business elsewhere. If you agree with them and pay the extra then more fool you really.

Last edited:
Yes, that's the way things should work. Sadly you are now more likely to be in an accident than someone that's not. If you have an understanding insurance company then great, if not, you will be penalised come renewal time.

With s**t companies yeah. Not decent ones. I know from experience. Someone smashed up my car, bill was something like 7k all in probably. Insurance went down as per usual the following renewal. Everything declared and even more mods added to the policy.

Brentacre FTW

Ph1
The point about a expensive courtesy car has gone straight over the top of a few heads.

Its not anyone's fault other than the industry. If insurance companies hand out expensive cars its all us who are paying for it. Yeah its cool when you crash and they give you a nice car but years ago if you crashed a 1.2 something, you got a 1.2 something as a courtesy car, ie a similar car to what you had / have.

IMO there is no real need to give someone a flash car. My bird crashed a 1.4 Seat and was given a 30k brand new BMW. Just a pointless waste of money, OUR money at the end of the day.

Black 172
Andyman your point is valid. Partially.

As an innocent party your are entitled to be indemnified (put back in the same position as you were before the accident).

In order to put you in the same position the replacement hire car to the non-fault party will normally be like for like in line with the ABI agreements. So if the car is over 6 years old it wont usually be like for like! This is agreed between insurers and credit hire organisations.

If the hire company dont have a like-for-like car they may upgrade you (might have been the case here) but the charge to the insurer will be at most for a like for like grouped vehicle.

As for another point about next years higher premium being an uninsured loss - no its not.

Its up to you who you insure with and what you insure next year - try and quantify that loss in a court? Your getting confused with an ongoing claim being settled after re-newal and the premium difference being refunded by the second year insurer.

Back to the OP - Sorry to hear about the car, but glad its worked out OK for you.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Andyman your point is valid. Partially.

As an innocent party your are entitled to be indemnified (put back in the same position as you were before the accident).

In order to put you in the same position the replacement hire car to the non-fault party will normally be like for like in line with the ABI agreements. So if the car is over 6 years old it wont usually be like for like! This is agreed between insurers and credit hire organisations.

If the hire company dont have a like-for-like car they may upgrade you (might have been the case here) but the charge to the insurer will be at most for a like for like grouped vehicle.

As for another point about next years higher premium being an uninsured loss - no its not.

Its up to you who you insure with and what you insure next year - try and quantify that loss in a court? Your getting confused with an ongoing claim being settled after re-newal and the premium difference being refunded by the second year insurer.

Back to the OP - Sorry to hear about the car, but glad its worked out OK for you.

Well put chap.

The bit in bold hasn't been prevalent in the insurance industry for quite a few years now.

Mini Cooper S sport
Shame about the 182, but glad you're OK.

Enjoy the GT86, saw a white one parked up (outside McDonalds lol) the other day and it looked immense.

derv biege barge
Just Bought a Mondeo 2005 TDCi to save some money on work commute.

Interestingly I just did an insurance quote from my saved quotes in gocompare.com for it. All I changed was the car it was around the £325 mark which is what I was paying for the Clio oddly enough.

With all the discussion on here about insurance costs etc and non fault accidents. I thought I would edit the quote again to see the difference. I dont have the figures for my incident so I took a wild guess at £20,000, filled in the rest of the incident details correctly ie. Accident non fault full recovery and injured persons and date etc.... price with cheapest (esure) £298.54.

Work that one out!:cheers:

Obviously my non fault accident adds to the evidence that I am a good safe driver, ie 2 accidents in 15yrs, 14yrs apart both non fault full recovery etc, this just shows when unfortunately I'm involved in an accident due to wrong place wrong time on both occasions I have been innocent of blame.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Work that one out!:cheers:

7412_wm.gif

Pleased for you ;)

The point about a expensive courtesy car has gone straight over the top of a few heads.

Its not anyone's fault other than the industry. If insurance companies hand out expensive cars its all us who are paying for it. Yeah its cool when you crash and they give you a nice car but years ago if you crashed a 1.2 something, you got a 1.2 something as a courtesy car, ie a similar car to what you had / have.

IMO there is no real need to give someone a flash car. My bird crashed a 1.4 Seat and was given a 30k brand new BMW. Just a pointless waste of money, OUR money at the end of the day.

You sort of contradicted yourself. He crashed a 2 litre, so giving him a 1.2 wouldn't be like for like?

172 Cup
Sorry for your loss. Some utter knobs out there.
I nearly had this last week when there was an unusually long queue running about 200 yards back from a roundabout, big green lorry (some delivery firm.. or.. some kind of furniture shop or something?) er.. anyway this lorry is coming up behind me and I'm thinking "he's not slowing down... he's not slowing down.." he flashes his lights at me as if I'm doing something wrong..

Not sure why the song and dance about the GT86, by now I think we're all used to insurers giving out inferior curtousey cars, I guess the GT86 is ok but still a bit frustrating when you're used to a Clio.

Last edited: