ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Growing pains!

phase 2 172
I bought my phase 2 172 just to get the thing out of my system. Wanted a sporty Clio for a while, but I have hated all things Renault with a passion since I started working in my fathers workshop 25 years ago. I gave up trying to find a good 205 gti just over a year ago. Frustrated a mate told me to take a spin in his phase 1 172 one day and it really surprised me with the way it drove, and it planted a seed. My current 172 ive had for a year and it's a blast. I have befriended a very good Polish auto spark (really very good) and he has sorted a couple of issues for me. So here is my dilemma. I never thought I would like the Clio as much as I do. I bought it to abuse it, intending to move it on again. That was a year ago now. I have now taken a notion for a nice early phase 1 car, or a 182, or a cup! I really am that taken with them. Don't get me wrong, I still think they are scrap! But value for money based on their used car prices, nothing comes close for putting a big smile on your face. I'm 41 and contemplating a second Clio sport 182 or a cup and keeping my current one as a daily. Have I been bitten by the bug?! Is there a cure?!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
People try to leave, sell up, crash, burn their RS Clios, sometimes they have a different car for a while, but then they ALWAYS COME BACK.

There's no cure. I'm Sorry.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I've advertised mine for sale a few times, but i just can't sell it. I want rid of it for something else, but i don't know what to replace it with, theres nothing that would make me smile so much, but cost so little.

They really are brilliant cars! You've had it i'm afraid!

phase 2 172
This.

I've had 25 cars now, including an Evo, 360bhp LCR, dc2 type r etc.

Always end up back with a Clio.
I hear you fella. I've a remapped S3 Quattro that the wife uses as her daily (only does 40 to 50 miles a week), we've had imprezas, turbo'd beasts, gsi's, gti's and the like. I own a couple of Motorsport cars to.. But I have been bitten by this crappy Clio.

I'm not emotionally attached to any of my cars, just see them as assets. Since my cup was written off I've got myself an A3 3.2, which I've had for all of 2 days and finding it boring.

markerboy2002

East Of England - Norfolk
ClioSport Area Rep
  Liquid Yellow 182
no cure. I originally bought my flame red 172 for that exact purpose and in the end I kept it for four years. then I bought a LY 182. greatest car ever!

TTRS, 172 Cup track
I'm not emotionally attached to any of my cars, just see them as assets. Since my cup was written off I've got myself an A3 3.2, which I've had for all of 2 days and finding it boring.

the 3.2 a3/r32/ttv6 are s**t that is true lol.

​ive been trying to find a good cup, for decent money, but so many dillusional sellers out there! And the good ones get snapped up so quick!

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
Bang for buck, you can't beat the Clio.

Maybe try a Renaultsport Megane?

Nyall

ClioSport Club Member
  Titanium Ph1 172
I think that defeats the purpose, cheap motoring that is bought to be abused.

​They aren't all that either.

I didn't say the Renaultsport Megane would provide cheap motoring to be abused. I'm saying if he likes the RS Clio, perhaps he will enjoy the Megane too.

The OP says he sees the Clios as scrap, so maybe he might like a more "higher end" car like the Meg.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'm the same. Had M3's, Evos, Scoobs.... You name it i've had it.

​Always end up back in a clio though. There is no cure. And tbh, there is no better car that offers the same bang for buck.

Cup In bits
I didn't say the Renaultsport Megane would provide cheap motoring to be abused. I'm saying if he likes the RS Clio, perhaps he will enjoy the Megane too.

The OP says he sees the Clios as scrap, so maybe he might like a more "higher end" car like the Meg.

I don't think he wants a bigger better car tbh. He is of the same opinion as I have always been of where I also think they are french scrap and the prices reflect this, they are fun and serve a purpose.

They are addictive though for the price.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
As above - bought a Phase 1 172 in 2008 intending to save for an ek9 - so what i done was, binned that idea and bought another 4 RenaultSport Clio's.

Literally, you're fucked lol.

the 3.2 a3/r32/ttv6 are s**t that is true lol.

​ive been trying to find a good cup, for decent money, but so many dillusional sellers out there! And the good ones get snapped up so quick!
I wouldn't say it's s**t. It's very grown up, and is easily on par with the 1*2's, and being 4wd (albeit not true 4wd) the cornering speeds are still higher than the Clio.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
I don't ever want to sell mine because I'd regret it and buy another anyway. Great fun little cars :)

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
I was similar - I bought the Clio as a cheap hack when I sold my Focus ST.

2.5 years later, despite searching for a new car - I can't find anything that I'd enjoy more with my budget of £8k.

Clio 172 Phase 2
i was in serious love with my 449 valver, maybe it got 2 weird as i dumped my chick for the car then attached a pussy in a can to the exhaust. but thats all in the past as the exhaust is hidden on my 172 lol