ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

group n spring rates?

172 Rally Car
Does anyone know the tarmac group n spring rates? Or maybe where I can find a build manual?

Cheers Sam

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Sam, you going Oulton next month? Have the catalogue but not the build manual - can burn to disc if you like pal.

CLIO GN PARTS CAT MAY 2011 44 copy.jpg

CLIO GN PARTS CAT MAY 2011 39.jpg

p.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
On the right, stick your readers on Sam... :)

Assuming they're kg/mm am guessing that's:

F:
5.5kg/mm = ~308lb/in = ~54N/mm (T) (A)
6kg/mm = ~336lb/in = ~59N/mm (A)
6.5kg/mm = ~364lb/in = ~64N/mm (A)

R:
4kg/mm = ~224lb/in = ~39N/mm (T)
5.1kg/mm =~286lb/in = ~50N/mm (T)
5.5kg/mm = ~308lb/in = ~54N/mm (A)

Any chance you could pm me the link to the dropbox file please?

Ta.

172 Rally Car
On the right, stick your readers on Sam... :)

Assuming they're kg/mm am guessing that's:

F:
5.5kg/mm = ~308lb/in = ~54N/mm (T) (A)

R:
4kg/mm = ~224lb/in = ~39N/mm (T)
5.1kg/mm =~286lb/in = ~50N/mm (T)
5.5kg/mm = ~308lb/in = ~54N/mm (A)

Any chance you could pm me the link to the dropbox file please?

Ta.

Ahhh you clever little bunny! kg/mm i would never have thought about that!

172 Rally Car
Thats pretty soft for tarmac is it not?

I think your lb/in to nm is wrong?

Last edited:

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
They're soft compared to the Clio 2 Cup running S2Bs :)

F 18kg/mm = 1008lb/in = 176.8N/mm
R 7kg/mm = 393lb/in = 68.7N/mm (bear in mind different spring positioning/leverage)

Check n8 it is in kg/mm

George - what's the document you're referring to? Dropbox link Sam sent is just the parts listings. Do you have a copy of the Groupe N workshop manual?

172 rag
Hi Pablo
I am waiting a lazy frend of mine to scan it and send it to me along with the FIA homologation.
The illustrations above (parts manual) give these spring rates. Usually they are just a baseline.. we ve seen it plenty of times with the 206 cup etc.
When I ll get the docs will distribute them, since its very usefull knoweledge and should be shared.

Cup In bits
They're soft compared to the Clio 2 Cup running S2Bs :)

F 18kg/mm = 1008lb/in = 176.8N/mm
R 7kg/mm = 393lb/in = 68.7N/mm (bear in mind different spring positioning/leverage)

George - what's the document you're referring to? Dropbox link Sam sent is just the parts listings. Do you have a copy of the Groupe N workshop manual?

Is that cup racer rates Paul?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Is that cup racer rates Paul?

Yes mate - although the last evo in 2006 had the yellow dampers with the NS dual rate rear spring. Both winds are marginally thinner dia - unsure of the rates as the writing has worn off :(

Cup In bits
Yes mate - although the last evo in 2006 had the yellow dampers with the NS dual rate rear spring. Both winds are marginally thinner dia - unsure of the rates as the writing has worn off :(

Cheers, my springs are still marked but I always forget to have a look. I just know they are stupidly stiff. Have you tried playing about spring poundages on the fixed rate dampers?

Were the last evo shocks not softer as well, for running on the Nurburgring or something.

NS??

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
NS - Nordschleife yep. Don't know how the yellow cartridges compare to blacks. Springs look softer so maybe similar damping to the silver ones?

Haven't run the bilsteins yet, got the ASTs on for the time being.

Cup In bits
So three evolutions of rears, black, silver, yellow? Fronts stayed the same throughout?

What colour was for what?

Cup In bits
You could just run the normal B14 kit. They're 70n/mm front and 40n/mm rear.

You could fit the b14 inserts into cup racer struts but they are much too soft for a race car in spring and damping, a guy on here (mike iirc) uses that on his cup racer for rallying.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
So three evolutions of rears, black, silver, yellow? Fronts stayed the same throughout?

What colour was for what?

Three rears yep, no idea why the different colours. I've only got the black ones that are apparently the firmest.

Don't think the fronts were ever changed - never seen anything to suggest otherwise. Some front springs were red instead of black, but otherwise the same rate afaik.

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Mine are 300lb front 400lb rear you recon it's worth.stiffening up the front?

Down to personal preference but that's less than half of what I'm currently running up front Sam. Have just under what you have on the rear but with a whiteline arb - mainly to account for my lack of talent and to make it a little more forgiving for the time being. :p

Would only really suggest upping it incrementally and see how it feels. Maybe 80-90N initially?

172 Rally Car
Down to personal preference but that's less than half of what I'm currently running up front Sam. Have just under what you have on the rear but with a whiteline arb - mainly to account for my lack of talent and to make it a little more forgiving for the time being. :p

Would only really suggest upping it incrementally and see how it feels. Maybe 80-90N initially?

In an ideal world i would do but springs are a fortune! and as im getting the shocks serviced i can get them valved to suit

What are you running? i have rear springs in the standard position so im not sure how that effects the comparison

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
In an ideal world i would do but springs are a fortune! and as im getting the shocks serviced i can get them valved to suit

What are you running? i have rear springs in the standard position so im not sure how that effects the comparison

A bit over double your existing rate up front & around 3/4 on the rear with AST dampers. Thinking was to try and limit excessive body roll and the problems that brings. Be interesting to compare stiffer rear rates without the ARb next year.

You could presumably measure up and get an approximate value for difference in leverage on the two spring platform locations. It'd be interesting to get a basic feel for the difference in spring resistance/velocity ratio on the two locations.

Might be worth having a search - surely someone must have worked it out already? :)

172 Rally Car
Apparently its a 2:1 ratio on the rear so your springs are pretty much twice as heavy as mine - is your setup pretty harsh?

172 Rally Car
Yes that's right :) I'm on standard rears so I would need a spring twice as stiff to get the same rate?

172 Rally Car
300lb/in fronts and 400lb/in rears with standard spring position. mainly tarmac events (i hope!)

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Apparently its a 2:1 ratio on the rear so your springs are pretty much twice as heavy as mine - is your setup pretty harsh?

Isn't harsh no Sam, currently quite forgiving - looking to experiment with marginally firmer rates next year minus the arb to see how it compares.

Just using some approx values I got pretty much 2:1 aswell assuming motion ratio for the inboard location of around 1.4 & the outboard as 0.98 (is just beyond the stub axle). That would equate to wheel rates of ~204lb using the beam platform compared to ~416lb on the outboard location using a 400lb spring.

Not convinced I've run the numbers right though. Northloop, can you confirm mate?

p@blo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio/A3
Is it the VLN springs you're running sam - they're around the 450lb mark aren't they?

VLN_clio.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
300lb/in fronts and 400lb/in rears with standard spring position. mainly tarmac events (i hope!)
I'd be very tempted to up the rate of your fronts Sam. Mine has 330lb fronts (kw v2's) and they're too soft so the front falls over itself a bit really. Something like a 400-450 front and a 500-550 rear would be what I'd try.
So a 185lbs coil over rear is = 315lbs normal position.....thats what my Reiger tarmac suspension is.
yes mate using a ratio of 1.7:1 and about 370 if you go 2:1, so a reasonable jump.

Isn't harsh no Sam, currently quite forgiving - looking to experiment with marginally firmer rates next year minus the arb to see how it compares.

Just using some approx values I got pretty much 2:1 aswell assuming motion ratio for the inboard location of around 1.4 & the outboard as 0.98 (is just beyond the stub axle). That would equate to wheel rates of ~204lb using the beam platform compared to ~416lb on the outboard location using a 400lb spring.

Not convinced I've run the numbers right though. Northloop, can you confirm mate?
Which numbers are you referring to mate? The motion ratio calcs or the spring poundage? I did my measuring ages ago and have it all written down somewhere so I'll have to try and find it, but for some reason the ratio of 1.7(ish):1 rings a bell. I eventually managed to work out what the rate of my rear springs were (kw v2's) taking known weights that were already there and adding a known weight and measuring deflection. Needed carol vorderman for the amount of maths involved though! Lol! When I eventually got the springs tested for their rates I was pretty much bang on too (allegedly a variable rate spring on kw's - er no they ain't! Well not until get them nearly fully compressed)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
What are your fronts? i suppose you can run softer springs due to the fancy canister dampers?

Front are 360ish or 60NM/mm - does feel harsh at all infact im thinking of going stiffer at the rear.

Interesting really if fancy damper allow you to run stiffer and get more compliance or run softer and more control???