ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gripper diff

172 cup track toy
Just had my 172 on track for the first time, never drove a car with a gripper diff before, I was surprised how noisy it was & the how much it vibrated the car through the cornors, not sure weather to swop for a standard rebuilt box,

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
That isn't right. I have a gripper in mine, and it is only noisy when turning at very low speeds. Occasionally it will 'judder' at low speeds when pulling off. Once you get moving though, you shouldn't feel anything. You may still hear it 'cluncking' as you go round some corners, but its rare. As Dan said - are you sure its the gripper? Sounds like something else may be up. Who fitted the gripper?

Where are you based, as if you're close to Reading, your welcome to head over to mine to compare. The Gripper is still by far the best mod i've done to mine, on track it is epic. :)

Just had my 172 on track for the first time, never drove a car with a gripper diff before, I was surprised how noisy it was & the how much it vibrated the car through the cornors, not sure weather to swop for a standard rebuilt box,[/QUOT

Have you put standard oil in the gearbox or the correct diff oil? I've got one fitted and don't have any noise except at low speed, and you can feel it start to lock up under high speed braking, other than that it makes no noise.

Regards Russ......

That isn't right. I have a gripper in mine, and it is only noisy when turning at very low speeds. Occasionally it will 'judder' at low speeds when pulling off. Once you get moving though, you shouldn't feel anything. You may still hear it 'cluncking' as you go round some corners, but its rare. As Dan said - are you sure its the gripper? Sounds like something else may be up. Who fitted the gripper?

Where are you based, as if you're close to Reading, your welcome to head over to mine to compare. The Gripper is still by far the best mod i've done to mine, on track it is epic. :smile:
Sorry to dig up an oldie, cub I have just bought a gripper in a jc5 for my 172. So it is worth it then? I used to always have a plated lsd in my 205 for trackdays. The clio felt a bit tame when I first had it on track, very unresponsive front end and waiting and waiting to get the power down 😧

Running standard power

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
Sorry to dig up an oldie, cub I have just bought a gripper in a jc5 for my 172. So it is worth it then? I used to always have a plated lsd in my 205 for trackdays. The clio felt a bit tame when I first had it on track, very unresponsive front end and waiting and waiting to get the power down 😧

Running standard power

I feel diffs are well worth it. Even on standard power. It lets you put the power down alot earlier mid to coming out of corners, and it prevents the inside wheel spinning up. For track work, it makes a noticeable difference. Some of the guys from the weekend just gone at Blyton @Daniel and @DaveDreads will attest to the value of the diff, not just on hairpins etc, but on long sweeping bends where you can put the power down better.

If it was unresponsive, you may also want to check the "wearable" suspension parts for play, and refresh the suspension if possible / affordable.

I feel diffs are well worth it. Even on standard power. It lets you put the power down alot earlier mid to coming out of corners, and it prevents the inside wheel spinning up. For track work, it makes a noticeable difference. Some of the guys from the weekend just gone at Blyton @Daniel and @DaveDreads will attest to the value of the diff, not just on hairpins etc, but on long sweeping bends where you can put the power down better.

If it was unresponsive, you may also want to check the "wearable" suspension parts for play, and refresh the suspension if possible / affordable.
Thanks dude. Exactly what I'm looking for really.
Already swapped to bilstein b14s before the track day.
Since then I've changed the front topmounts, new tre and track rods. Already fitted balljoints before.

Also widened the track and fitted the pms arb. Should be a different beast next time :)