ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

got the car going, but runs a bit odd!

Schma Schme 1.6l
so, i've got a replacment engine in my 172, its a 182 bottom end with 40k miles on it. the top end is a ported and polished head, matched inlets, its got a big exhaust, race cat. might have other mods to ECU but not sure, i brought it with no engine!

we put a new timing belt on, and the timing was done with the correct tools in the presense of a renault techny who checked it was all spot on.

the car hadn't been run for at least a few months, so i removed all the old fuel which was yellow! and replaced it with fresh super unleaded and flush some through.

car fires up, ticks over a bit lumpy like my other 172, when you rev it, its responsive but it chucks out a good amount of black smoke, and gives a few pops/bangs. it gets slighty more lumpy and pops and bangs a bit more. it sounds more like my clio cup race car then a 172 road car!

when i drove it down the road it did cut out a couple of times too, it reminded me of when we replaced the timing belt on my other 172 and got it 1 tooth out. however, as i said, the timing belt was done on this one while on a engine stand, with correct tools and checked by a renault techy.

here is a link to a video of the car in my shed, http://vimeo.com/15059735

any thoughts on this?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sure you've not put a K9K in by mistake? :rasp: I think you'd be best off getting the car looked at by someone with the kit to see what's going off. The 182 B/E shouldn't make any difference but the new ECU might; is it genuine unit or a supposed "Cup" unit that's been purchased with the promise of performance gains?

You say you're 100% sure the timing is bang on so we can rule this out. Spit back/Popping, lumpy idle, black smoke - they're all generally signs of over fuelling and running rich but the question is why? Could be CTS related, a faulty injector(s) or even HO2? A Live data screen will be your best buddy here I think... ask your Tech mate if he can smuggle the car in to the workshop one weekend for a quiet session on the CLIP.

Mick

Schma Schme 1.6l
well, the bottom end i used was the same as the 1 removed, well, it certainly looked identical.

it doesn't have a different ECU, its the one from the 172 originally.

its certainly over fueling just rather odd.

Cro

Meg'd r27
Its probably just dropping a cylinder for something like a coilpack, ht lead, spark plug, lambda etc. How does it drive?

Schma Schme 1.6l
Well it cuts out a bit, but we changed the coil pack for the 1 on my 172 and it made no difference. We will try a lambda sensor.

Schma Schme 1.6l
HT's are spot on. have change the inlet chamber sensors for the 1's off my other 172 and it seems to of made a difference.

thing is, when i rev it up, it doesn't 'blip' like it should, it goes up and as i release my foot, it very slowly returns to tick over.

ODD!