ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Got cained by a Cup and CTR

Astra 1.9cdti XP

:(:(:(:(:(

Well met up with Keith (KeithO) Paul (Cuppy 172) and SoLow last night and I wish I hadnt.

Had a bit of chat and then went for a spin (the part I wish I hadnt). All pretty much straight line stuff but up a slight incline both time. The CTR passed me first like a was standing still then after the Cup and CTR were in front from a roundabout and they just kept getting further and further away (about 10 car lengths in the end). The Cup and CTR were dead even nothing at all in it. I had my 17s which really slowed me down, at first I though I might have a poor car but I have been up against CTRs before and not had the same result.

So this morning I went out with my Dad whose car I can benchmark against mine (BMW 328i E46) played with it many time in the past and its always been totally even. Anyway this time I got totally cained from 0 - 70 again about 10 car lengths :(

I knew adding 17s would slow me down a bit but not by this much, really peed off at the minute. Spend all that money just to ruin your fun.

So been on the phone this morning to see about a change of car, only trouble is there is nothing I would want as a replacement!! Oh if anyone wants a set of Speedline Turnis in 17" then let me know.

Yes I would definatley get rid of the 17s Paul. ;) I was very surprised on how much of a difference it made. Only started pulling away from the cup at about 100 but stuck to my bumper until then.

Was a good crack and I enjoyed it. Paul, I have a CTR for sale if you are interested :eek:

Even if the rolling radius is the same, the effect of 17s is to increase the unsprung weight = slower car!

I used to have some aftermarket 16" wheels on my car and when I swapped them back for some original 16v Phase2 15" wheels, you could feel the weight difference between the two.

320d M Sport

ah well!! At least youve had a go mate, good on ya for trying! You think it would have been closer on standard wheels?

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Definately closer on standard wheels as the test with my dad showed! The car just doesnt pull as well now, need more revs to get it going from a stand still. Going to put the 16s back on this afternoon and go out for another test.

KeithO - if I had more time I would seriously consider your CTR!!

GeordiePaul, I have renewed the insurance so it wont be going back tomorrow it will be the back end of next week sometime or the week after so if that gives you enough time then let me know.

williams and trophy

hehe well i only need to go up against a cup now.........

ctrs are no fukkin problem unless were both gunnin it from 100.....then the ctr seems to have an edge but i can still slowly catch then pass em

the gauntlet is thrown to all cup owners.......york on monday

2 Live, if what you say is correct about the CTRs then the cup will not be a problem. The CTR was pulling away from the CUP so if you can reel in the CTR a cup aint going to be a problem.

Keith O

williams and trophy

yeah i reckon mine adis n paddys are all pretty much even.....so i reckon wed all do the same

the 3 dif types of fast clio, anyones welcome to come and prove us wrong like hehe

tim o i believe u have a cup now.......ditch the launch control u got n well av a run at york see how they compare

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Cheers for the replies.

Had the 17s off today and put the 16s back and the difference is what I expected the car is much quicker!!! Could stick with my dad all day!! All that money for nothing. Must say though the car corners better than the 16s though it is bit more twitchy on the 17s

Anyway.....

been out in a CTR all afternoon :eek: My local dealer had a 52 plate with 4000 miles for £14500 (another dealer had a 51 plate with 15000 miles for £15000 I laughed and walked out) Ive been out in one before but I had a bit longer this time. It didnt rattle unlike mine only trouble was it didnt feel any faster then mine does with the 17s on, not saying it isnt it just doesnt feel it!! Anyway they are trying to get a price for mine and they are going to call me tomorrow.

Keith only trouble with yours is I would have to sell mine privately and I just cant be arsed. Yours looks in good nick though, any wheel damage? The one I looked at the wheels were all kerbed. They did say they would repair them if I bought it!!

what u reckon of the CTR?

i went in one didnt get the impression of going fast, but i suppose on yer own with some 98 ron theyl move

must say was good to see the three of them disappear into the distance. That feckin CTR fecking FLEW the 1st time up the hill.

Got to say though that the 172 looked the most menacing coming up behind me due to the superb lights!

Didnt get to see much of the return leg cos my car refused to keep within eyesight of them! (now looking for a 200sx, I need turbo power!)

Nice to meet you three, next time I will be driving something with power? (well depends on the wife!)

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Cheers SoLow at least mine look manacing :D Have you got the address of that Website you were talking about?

For anyone thats interested just weighed the wheels: The 16s with a very worn tyre is 16.5kg and the 17s with brand new tyre is 16.8kg so as far as weight goes there is nowt in it. Diamter though there is just over a 1cm in it so that must be were the loss if acceleration is!!!

No problem Paul, I know what you mean about the hastle of trying to sell privatly. Just for reference the wheels dont have any damage at all.

Keith.

Astra 1.9cdti XP

Been offered £11k for my car :D Off now to pick up a CTR which Ive been given for the day :D so going to have a but of fun with someone elses tyres :D

Elise/VX220/R26

11K is a good price m8 youve done well there. M8 of mine was offered 10 and a half on an 8 month old 172 about a month ago. CTR is mu next motor for definite. I havent even picked my new 172 up yet!

Hey guys,

Im an aussie Clio driver and our Clio 172s are fitted with 15 inch wheels over here as standard... does that mean our clios would accelerate slightly quicker then??

Astra 1.9cdti XP

The CTR is sitting on the drive, just having a spot of lunch!

JoZeFF not necesarily what size tyres have you got on the 15s? If they are 195/50 R15 then there is very little difference between the diameter of the 16s but thay are slighly smaller so I would imagine you may have a slight advantage from a standstill!

geordiepaul, I have to ask what colour ?;) Just noticed the performace figures on the Golf 1.9 TDI PD and I am impressed. I think you mentioned this when we met, what are your impressions of the car?

Looks like it is a rather attractive offer, bloody hell I havnt even got my new one and I want to change....

Astra 1.9cdti XP

It is was a Red one. And it was pretty nice I dont think I will be changing the 172 for one though! It has a great engine and gear box but that is about it. It doesnt feel that quick when your driving it but I know it is. The steering is awful the car has no personality which is the biggest problem. The 172 has its problems but it has bags of personality and it is much more fun to drive albeit with 16s on :D. I just couldnt justify the change. I have another Cooper s for half a day on satuday so well see hoe that goes.

The Golf GTTDI is pretty quick 0-60 in about 8 secs and it has 236lbs ft of torque but it is £18k I have never drive one but they are suppsed to be the best Golf to buy.