ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

got a court summons this mornin:(

Clio 1.8 16v

woke up this mornin feelin good coz it was my last day at work before my holidays to magalluf opened my mail only to find i was summond to court in the 7th of july for speeding on the 14thdec got caught doin 96 in a 70 or 60 not sure what it was but it was on the A483 a dual carrageway nr wrexham.so what should i do go to court in wales when i live nr bolton or should i plead guilty on the letter and send it off with 3 letters 1 of my boss sayin if i loose my D/L i will loose my job,my dad is writen a letter sayin if i loose my job he will have to kick me out coz he has just been made redundant and cant afford to keep me in the house n my mate sayin if i loose my job he looses his coz he cant get to work,and will send off sum police cadet forms sayin i have passed the police cadet course n that to make it look good!!so what do u think i should do?and what will i get?

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

3 points & £60 fine

I got caught at 98.7mph in a 70. Thats what penalty i got.

Clio 1.8 16v

no got caught by a vascar and he pulled me n my mate over as he was behind me doin the same speed n got us both but only me on the vascar:(he read me my rights n all of that.you are allowed 6months then they cant do out but 14days is for a speeding ticket.only 2days away from gettin of with it gutted.

Clio 1.8 16v

not sure been told all sorts though, so i thought i would ask on ere coz sum 1 always knows the right answers.

Where about where u caught on the A483 was it on the downhill part. I will have to be more careful from now on as you realy can get some speed on that road.

The reoad is a nation speedlimit dual carriage way so the limit is 70.

I cannot see you loosing ur licence over it. I know of people who have had there companies tell the cops that if they loose there licencs then they will lose there job and the police just give them loads of points.

EDD

IVE FORGOTTEN HOW TO TYPE!!!

My mate was caught doing 105mph, he was summoned to court, got fined and 3 points!

Oh, there we go.... :oops:

Yeah the A483 is a 70 AFAIK.

Where about you from?

My dad works in wrexham and my brothers moving house there too so Im around sometimes.

I know my brother has warned my about coppers on that road though.

Mate, I wouldt lay it on too thick with all the letters and stuff, as youll turn it into a saga and itll become a laughing stock! (Itd be different it you were caught at 140mph!!!)

Id enclose one letter, from your employer stating that youll lose your job if banned if itll make you feel better but I dont think its required as youll get points and a fine for that speed.

IMHO of course and good luck!

Taken fron Speed trap bible (http://www.speed-trap.co.uk www.speed-trap.co.uk)

What is the time limit, within which you can be prosecuted. The police have to serve a summons on the defendant within 6 months of the date on which the prosecutor (normally the CPS) certify that they have collated enough evidence to bring a charge. This does not mean that the police have 6 months from the date of the offence to charge the accused. My advice to anyone who has received a summons more than 6 months after the alleged offence is to request a copy of the signed and dated certificate of prosecution from the Police/CPS. For a normal common or garden speeding offence with no complications I can think of absolutely no reason why the prosecution should not issue a summons within 6 months of the offence. Notwithstanding the above, the Prosecution must bring proceedings within 3 years of the alleged offence. The NIP 14 day rule still applies for Gatso and other devices, where you are not stopped and warned of proscecution at the time of the offence.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

This guys was just in the 6 month period though, he still had 2-3 days left to go.

Anyway 3 point and a fine. I got caught about 5 years back doing 94 in a 70 zone and got 3 points and £40 fine but the fine will have gone up. I think the ban only equates after 100mph but I know some people who have had points and a fine for over 100mph, just depends how the judge is feeling on the day..

I gotta appear in court in just over a week for 98.2 on M1....been told by a solicitor i face 5-6 pts, £200 fine and up to 6 months ban

So if you guys got only 3pts and £60 i would be most happy but i am preparing myself for the worst.

I cannot afford to lose my license as i am self employed now and my mobility would mean i go out of business...i am using this as a plea for leaniancy *cant spell

Fingers crossed

J

Bad luck mate!

My mates a copper and Ive asked him about this 100MPH instant ban stuff, its actually 90+ and you can get a ban @ police officers discretion. But I know two people that have been caught doing 95ish one got 3 points and a £60 fine, the other that went to court got 4 points and £120 fine/costs.

You need to go to court, suited and booted! Stand in front of the judge with your head hanging in shame and tell him that this speeding offence was out of character and that you are usually a careful driver etc etc. But you have learnt a lesson in taking more care over your speed as you now realise that your driving license is fundamental to your present employment and your future career moving forward into the police force. They love the whole Ive learnt a lesson bit.

If the above doesnt work try crying/pleading on your knees for mercy etc etc.

Best of Luck!

Potster

Craig

ClioSport Club Member
  E46 330i tourer

My teacher in college was doing 104mph on an A road near Cheltenham.

56day Ban and a £120fine. Its true, theyll only ban you if you hit a ton.

Clio 1.8 16v

well when i got caught i had only been driving for about 1 and a half years so i could only get 6 points in the 1st 2yrs of driving but i already have 3points!!!now if i got points would they back date it or would they just put the points on now because i can have 12 points now!!i am not goin to court filling that form out and sending it of with a letter of my boss,i live nr manchester and i was comin back from a rolling road day from nr wrexham!!

Points count from the date of the offence is my understanding...hoped they would be from the date of court appearance but no such luck

J

Potster, did your mates nose grow when he said it was at the police officers discretion as to whether you got a ban or not? lol

ONLY a court can impose a ban, the police report the cirumstances to the prosecution service/procurator fiscal and its up to them to prosecute you and the judge/magistrate to ban you.

And Craig, if you think "theyll only ban you if you hit a ton"...... what about 65mph past school gates???? Take this to trial and get a guilty and its ta-ta to your licence my friend....and you were nowhere near a ton!

Getting a ban depends on the circumstances..... a guy was caught a while back at 140mph in a Nissan NSX, and he was charged with Speeding (obviously) and Section 2 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 (Dangerous driving)

He plead to the speeding as you cant really argue with VASCAR, but was found NOT GUILTY of Section 2 due to the circumstances. Namely, the guy was an experienced driver with a good driving record, the car was more than capable of handling this speed safely, the conditions were dry, motorway practically empty etc etc, meaning that in all the circumstances the court could say "yes, you were speeding, but it wasnt proven to be dangerous"

He got something like a 56 day ban! Result!

Fact.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

I was caught doing 72 in a 40 zone.

Went to court - faced the magistrates - thought Id murdered someone, not got caught speeding! due to their stoney faces and lack of a sense of humour!

Got a letter from my boss saying if I lost my licence I would loose my job!

Received a £200 fine and 5 points which took me up to 11 points on my licence.

I did get caught again (45 in a 30) while the court case was pending - that did not go down too well! Hence the stoney faces and lack of humour.

Thankfully I didnt actually KILL anyone!

Learnt my lessons and I dont speed anymore. I also dont speed anyless - just a bit more careful where I do choose to speed!

Bob RTE - clean licence since 1999!!!!!!

They shouldnt have been that bothered Bob, its not as if you were in a built-up area...

I think that being excessively over the limit in a built-up, is an excuse for them to throw the book at you!

My girlfriends mum works for the police in the road accident dept and she says that if you get caught doing 20mph and over the limit you will either get six points and a fine, or a court summons which usually turns out as 6 points and a hefty fine, either way you shouldnt lose your licence unless you already have points or been driving for under 2 years.

Its nothing to do with going at a ton to get banned, its a % over the limit thats is taken into account therefore if it was a 60 you are in deeper sh*t than if it was a 70, going at 96 in a 60 means you were around 30% over the limit, this is not good as if its the case because it is likely to mean more than 3 points and a fine of probably £50 +. On the day is down to the judges discretion, oh and you will probably have to make a court appearance also to get sentenced, unfortunatley, letters from your boss and dad are unliley to make any difference to the judges decision what will is your age, job, and previous convictions, how do you stand on these? But to be honest, and working with the law i would prepare myself for possbly 6 points and a fine of about £100, having previous driving convictions though and if you are under 25 could mean a stiffer penalty as judges are clamping down on the "boy racer", hope this helps.

Clio 1.8 16v

yeah it helps cheers mate been at my job for 3years i dont have to attend the court do i?i have got a letter were i can just fill it out and send it off i think!yeah i was gettin worried about the judge thinking i am young=boy racer,seems to me discrimination lol if thats how u spell it.

wkdlad,

I got £200 and 5 pts for 96 in a 70. A9 near Stirling. It was from a mobile van wi a camera hanging out the back. Letter came through within 2 days!

Tried the please dont shoot me letters as I am in the Fire Service and need my liscence. Spoke to a Traffic guy who works in the said mobile van. Said if I had been doing 95mph (cut off in a 70 zone), I would have gooton standard 3pts + £60. Already had 3 pts at the time of that offence. Bas.