ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going from 195/50/16 to 205/50/16

Not a 320d
Hi, im sorry for going on about tyres, i accept that im going to get reemed for my 100th thread on tyres but i really need the info and dont want to make a mistake.

Ive spoken to a few people about what tyres to get.

My standrd tyres are 195/50/16, ive been told i can go to 205 width, which means i can get a whole lot more to chose from.

I was wondering though, wont this have negative effects, like the tyre wall swaying a bit more. Ive seen the tyre calculators but im not sure i understand them properly. I also want to keep the same profile (50) for the sake of my speedo.

Can anyone give me (more) advice please.

E/

According to the calculator thing, i can go for 205/45/16 too.

Lionel Richie
whatever you do you'll HAVE to change all 4 if change size, it c**ks up the ABS system if you don't

tyre wall "sway" as you put it is no bad thing, as long as they won't scrub, crack on

i think you'll have to go to 205/45 16 though

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
The tyre wall will be the most minimal of differences.

iirc, the 50 part of the size is a percentage of the width (195/205 etc) so it will make such a small difference!

Stop being a fairy.

Not a 320d
The tyre wall will be the most minimal of differences.

iirc, the 50 part of the size is a percentage of the width (195/205 etc) so it will make such a small difference!

Stop being a fairy.

:) Sorry

Thanks Fred.

Yeah the calculator rekons theres 2 mph difference at 70 which is a good thing i guess. I intend to get a full new set.

Just need to decide what tyres to get now. cant find F1 Asymetrics in my size, and Contisport 2's or F1 GSD3's look to be the most likely tyres now.

Not a 320d
Hankook V12 evo's in 205/45 16 - winner

Heard about these. Are they any good, wheres the best place to get them?

And good compared to what exactly?? Im not fussed about tyre wear, but i dont want uneven wear and noise which is why i wont buy R888's.

Not a 320d
Trust me im not fussed about price either. I know more expensive doesnt mean better, but 70 quid a corner seems cheap. Id be happy paying 120 a piece. Ill have a read on reviews first. Thanks.

Lionel Richie
all the track boys are using them at the moment, i must've had 8 cars in now with them fitted, R26's, 182's, 197's etc

Not a 320d
Do you have any experience of using them yourself?? Would you chose them over GDS3's or Contisport 2's?

Thanks for the info btw.

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
  dci1.5 look RS
i have 205/45/16 and i don't have a lot to choose from, i think the best is 205/55/16, or 195/55/16 i'm not sure, but it has side walls to tall for me

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
lets be honest they float rather than handle, i hammered the wifes 138, you wont see any difference mate!

Not a 320d
lets be honest they float rather than handle, i hammered the wifes 138, you wont see any difference mate!

Mine doesnt, then again, it is on coilovers. Im just sick of the tyres not sticking to the road. My Premium Contact's on the MK2 were better !

i have 205/45/16 and i don't have a lot to choose from, i think the best is 205/55/16, or 195/55/16 i'm not sure, but it has side walls to tall for me

Same, i would rarther keep it under 50

Not a 320d
Set up, not properly (mark fish kinda thing) though. The backs are down as low as possible but the tyre is still no where near the wheel arch. Damping is not adjustable though :(

Cupra 300 ST 4drive
Set up, not properly (mark fish kinda thing) though. The backs are down as low as possible but the tyre is still no where near the wheel arch. Damping is not adjustable though :(

That could well be your underlying problem tbh mate as far as grip

Not a 320d
My tyres are made from stone. It does pretty well considering, i can just feel the tyres slosing grip sometimes. Maybe your right though. But the tyres i have are rock solid.