ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Going for a drive.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
So on Saturday I did something I haven't done in a LONG time. For over a year in fact. Well over. I took the 182 out to simply drive it, as in for fun.

I took it to the garage and bunged some vPower in and off I went, up near ladybower dam and all around the back of Strines Moore and finished up near the mustard pot just off Stockbridge bypass for those who know it.

Well, I have to say I had that much fun I turned round and did the route again.

Got to say I forgot how fun the 182 can be on the roads and it's definitely reinstated the going for a drive passion I'd previously lost.

Thread purpose? To remind you why you bought the Clio in the first place, go and take it for a frigging good drive if you haven't done so in a while!

:)

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
Good call... :) I've been getting to grips with driving the vee again this weekend. Had a couple of heart in mouth moments, nothing wreckless, not at all... Just a case of forgetting how it behaves in various road conditions lol.

Next up, getting to know the recently purchased replacemt ph1 172. Still not had time to take that out for a spirited drive. :)

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
hi The Boosh, mark and i do it all the time we call it going for a blast and i do it on the way home from work in the early hours but im afraid this passion appears to dying on here:race:

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh this always works when I'm just about fed up of the car, always puts me in a good mood too.

Not so much right now though because both front shocks are leaking.

Nissan 350z
I must admit its not something i do very often, purely because having time to myself seems rare but i have a similar "drive" route i enjoy around the peak district. Today would be ideal infact if it wasnt for the fact of being a bank holiday the roads will be busy and the police will be out in force to catch out the bikers :(

pimp mobile Zafira
Yep you Definatly can't beet jumping in the car and heading off with no where in mind. I think us northerners are so lucky with the roads we have. There are some great routes to drive. Places like Buttertubs or even the Puckering to Whitby road.

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Do this practically every weekend, go out pick a couple of mates up and just drive around just take random turnings in the hope of finding some good roads. Then when we are fed up just turn the sat nav on to get us home.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Good call... :) I've been getting to grips with driving the vee again this weekend. Had a couple of heart in mouth moments, nothing wreckless, not at all... Just a case of forgetting how it behaves in various road conditions lol.

Next up, getting to know the recently purchased replacemt ph1 172. Still not had time to take that out for a spirited drive. :)

I haven't been out for a good drive since we out out mate, might change later if I get rid of this hangover, lol.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Love going for random drives. Luckily I'm 10-15mins drive from part of the Pennines. Some great roads round there.

If I ever get to the stage some of my friends are at where they buy a car, spend money on making them a little faster, but then lower it so much that the only time they get to put their foot down is between a set of traffic lights, then someone just kill me.

How can you call yourself a petrol head when your car can't be driven enthusiastically over some of the best roads around is beyond me.

Richyy182

ClioSport Club Member
  BG Clio 182 FF
Quality post!! I have only recently got my 182 back on the road and have to say its awesome. The engine is running sweet with all the new bits and the 4 new Exaltos are helping too. Enjoy.

V6 255, 172's, JCW,
I haven't been out for a good drive since we out out mate, might change later if I get rid of this hangover, lol.

Hahaha... yeah you want to make sure you're well rid of that before going for a drive bud.. lol. The roads may have dried up by then too.. ;)

When are we going to get this photo shoot sorted out anyway.. :eek:

Fiesta STripes
Because of the cost of fuel, I wasn't able to do this in the 197 recently, but since I sold that and got a 182, I have been able to, and yes, you are right!!! It's bloody brilliant!!!!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Took mine out over honistor pass last night at about midnight with a couple of friends. Great fun!

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Even though I have a 1.2, I love to wind the windows down, take the sunroof out, and find some cracking roads (petrol permitting)

Can't wait for the day I get a 182.

Mk1 Focus RS
you can't beat going out for a random drive in your car.

simply reminds you why you bought it.

I try and go out at least once a month just for a drive.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Saw this thread this morning and took some inspiration from it!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?639937-s**t-weather-s**t-pics-Great-car&p=8668255#top

Brian

ClioSport Admin
  LY 220 Trophy
This should be a sticky tbh, as a reminder for all those that have lost their faith!

Can't say I've done this since I got the 200 :( really should change that..

Last edited:

Ash.

North West
ClioSport Area Rep
Welli've not driven mine all winter did the big chester meet parked it up for six weeks then last night drove 260miles and loved it i am doing the same again tomorrow and i cant wait!!

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
I used to do this all the time, soon stopped once I got the MPS tho:(

I remember back when I was 19-20 we used to go on random drives pretty much every night. Worked a 2-10 shift every day so never needed to get up early. Used to end up in blackpool at midnight at least once a week, Manchester another night, north Wales another. I had a mondeo ST24 back then so wasn't the most economical thing, but fuel was bout 85p a litre. Miss those days a lot, and it's really depressing to think it was only 6 years ago. It's scary how much the cost of motoring has gone up in that time!

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Thats a good point James. Thought about moving back to an R26 but like you say with everything going up it ends up a lot more expensive to do! My R26 would get 23mpg against my 172's 37!

Abarth 500 Esseesse
I've been doing this more and more regularly recently. Just had a fantastic bank holiday weekend in Wales. Averaged 33mpg and that was absolutely slaughtering it. I even had to pass an XKR, rather disappointed with its driver! Loving the Whiteline :D

53 Clio's & counting
Agreed, with a child, 2 jobs and a house redecoration, iv not had anytime to myself for a while - Duf will be out and used properly soon mind :D

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
I was out over the Snake pass last Saturday in my daughters Corsa picking her up from Sheffield uni. I've got to take her back on Thursday night so might take the 172 for a blast. I take her car so she can drive it back. She hasn't any parking by her place in Sheffield so the car lives here. The A57 is a brilliant road in any car. One of my favourite drives is up the M6 to Penrith and join the A686 over Hartside Pass to Hexham and back. I go that way when I visit my mum in Corbridge. Sometimes I come off at the South Lakes junction and head for Windermere and go over the Kirkstone Pass and pick up the A66 across to Penrith and take the A686 but it depends what the traffic is like and the weather.

Z4
I did the same thing in the 182 last week, I found some of my favourite B roads and cleared out the cobwebs.

They really are fun little cars! It's easy to fall out of love with them on the daily grind, but when you drive them 'properly' you soon remember why you bought the little French tin over the lazy German.

RS Clio 182
I agree with all the above comments about having a bit of a blast with no set destination..did it the other day.me n the missus had a bit of time with no kids.jumped in the 182 and off we went.only did about an hour but through blubberhouses and surrounding roads then back through harrogate and home again..pardon the expression but welcome relief springs to mind.