ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Go Pro Mic For Hero4

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Chaps, ive got a track day this weekend and im after a mic for my gopro, i want a long enough lead so i can run the mic near the exhaust or in the engine bay.

I bought one of those foam covers to stop the wind noise but you can't hear fook all when its fitted outside of the car. @MarkCup any help chap?

Cheers

S.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
You're going to struggle to get anything usable if you use any kind of lav mic...they're great for picking up voice from an individual but not so good at anything else. They're also really really susceptible to wind noise...even with a dead cat windscreen over it.

The only way I've been able to pick up any usable audio from outside the car is using a GoPro Session...and that was after a lot of trial and error to get it in a place where the buffeting was a problem.

My suggestion is get a decent omnidirectional lav mic, stick it somewhere around your neckline and it should pick up the in-car audio well enough and your voice perfectly...I've just bought a second one of these...but you will need an adaptor to fit a GoPro 4 as well...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009YCI62Y/?tag=cliospnet01-21

Ignore the Sennheiser Wireless connectivity bit...that's just the locking collar on what is otherwise a standard 3.5mm jack.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
You're going to struggle to get anything usable if you use any kind of lav mic...they're great for picking up voice from an individual but not so good at anything else. They're also really really susceptible to wind noise...even with a dead cat windscreen over it.

The only way I've been able to pick up any usable audio from outside the car is using a GoPro Session...and that was after a lot of trial and error to get it in a place where the buffeting was a problem.

My suggestion is get a decent omnidirectional lav mic, stick it somewhere around your neckline and it should pick up the in-car audio well enough and your voice perfectly...I've just bought a second one of these...but you will need an adaptor to fit a GoPro 4 as well...

Ignore the Sennheiser Wireless connectivity bit...that's just the locking collar on what is otherwise a standard 3.5mm jack.

Many thanks bud, very useful. ??

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.

This was mine with the Gopro stuck to the rear bumper.

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
That sounds alright?!
It does all the time its stuck to the rear bumper, if i stick it to the side of the car with the foam cover i get no sound and if i remove the cover then all i get is wind noise.

I was hoping to stick it on the side of the car and maybe fit the mic in the boot or in the engine bay.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
It does all the time its stuck to the rear bumper, if i stick it to the side of the car with the foam cover i get no sound and if i remove the cover then all i get is wind noise.

I was hoping to stick it on the side of the car and maybe fit the mic in the boot or in the engine bay.

I've tried that with a good few setups now and determined that unless I spend a decent wedge on a decent mic...that it's not possible.

I've never done it but the only way I can think of to get good in-car video with the exhaust audio is to run two GoPros, one inside and one outside, and then blend the audio together in post.