ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

give me a clue - starting issues..

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
My clio is not well. Sadly not being a mechanic I am a little stuck.
The car will not fire up, but if I leave it in gear I can bump start it on a turn of the key and a little dance on the pedal.
Starter motor spins at a good rate, battery has been tested and has been cleared as healthy. Car runs fine once going so no hesitation or misfire (can that rule out spark plugs and injectors then?)

I quite fancy dropping it at Fred to play with but if its something obvious then it would save a drive. It has got a low idle - the notch between 500 and 1000rpm but its always been like this and does not stutter. My bet is fuelling though.

Tomorrow I'll whip off the spark plugs as i'd rather have a beer now. Anyone had a similar experience as I'd rather not waste time guessing when i'm pulling 16 hour working days.

Kev

ITB'd MK1
probably needs a general service, clean up the throttle body and idle valve, and stick it on diagnostics. You're only down the road, I'm away next week but I can fit you in with flexible hours

Clio 172 Cup
will it try to fire up? or will it not do anything? if nothing, could be the starter motor, if cold, maybe the crank sensor has gone, although they usually start up after a bit, but probably needs a good service