ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ghost immobiliser or not?

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
To ghost or not to ghost?

New car is keyless and I don't want to go through another theft again.
I use a disklok on my car and have cameras etc as well as proper anti snap locks on the house etc.

But, is it worth getting a ghost? Or would that just mean someone is going to break into the house for the code?

Family comes first, I don't need someone in the house who isn't welcome.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
To ghost or not to ghost?

New car is keyless and I don't want to go through another theft again.
I use a disklok on my car and have cameras etc as well as proper anti snap locks on the house etc.

But, is it worth getting a ghost? Or would that just mean someone is going to break into the house for the code?

Family comes first, I don't need someone in the house who isn't welcome.
Don’t see the point personally especially if you’re putting in place all the other measures. If someone is that determined to go through a disklok etc then they’ll have no issues breaking into the house

I had a ghost system on my focus rs, it uses a sequence of the buttons already in the car. For example mine was to press the wing mirror button 4 times, but you can use any sequence if you program it yourself.

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
I’ve had a ghost fitted to my car for a few months now. Still glad I made that choice.

It’s really nice to have that peace of mind, when I leave the car unattended, that it’ll still be there when I return. Unless it’s physically lifted onto a trailer, it’s almost totally impossible to steal without the code. Even if it is trailered away, it’s essentially just a heavy paperweight that can’t be driven.

As an added bonus, I can preheat/defrost the car in the morning whilst I’m indoors and I know it’s going nowhere.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
My only concern is if they're that keen on the car they'd come in to the house and threaten you for the code, etc. Sod that

withoutabix

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve got Ghost on my A4 avant that being said I do live in Birmingham 😂

Always have people saying that what if they come in aand beat the life out of you for the code etc but that’s pie in the sky if you ask me, most thefts are either opportunistic or after a quick In and out with the least hassle possible so just leave the keys downstairs and let them Try if your that way inclined.

I’m much more content knowing I’ve got it fitted than having no protection and leaving it to steering locks etc

T12

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco Clio 172
My only concern is if they're that keen on the car they'd come in to the house and threaten you for the code, etc. Sod that

Seems like you’ve answered your own question there then!

As an added note - presuming they don’t know it’s fitted, they’ll make a fair bit of noise starting the car, headlights on etc to make a quick getaway. If it dies on gear engagement, it’s likely they’d panic and run, in fear of being caught. Would they then come in your home, with full likelihood you’re now awake, to risk threatening you for the code… seems highly unlikely.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250 Cup
There was a period of time where alot of the Fords getting stolen had Ghost fitted. Not sure if that weakness is still present.

It's much simpler and cheaper to fit a toggle or latching switch which goes to the switched live of your injectors. Hide the switch somewhere in the cabin.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you're worried about someone coming in for the keys then fit a tracker instead of an immobiliser.

Unless there's a system that will shut the car off or put it in valet mode after 10 minutes, so the scrotes would just abandon it.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I would go with pandora storm instead of ghost but as said no ones coming in your house for the to beat the code out of you! they just want a quick quiet in and out no noise or confrontation.

It's one thing creeping around looking for keys as most are left by the door but different story if alarm going off and everyone upstairs and knows they are there!
Anti snap locks faraday pouch disklok alarm zone set downstairs at night job done.

They will find an easier target.

If ghost is located and removed car can then be started if pandora is located and removed car can not, same money as ghost also works same way that's where my money would go.

Better still pandora mini BT.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
A thief will just want to start a car and drive away, they don't want to go into someone's house anymore

When they realise they can't drive it they'll give it legs. They're not gonna come into someone's house for a code when they've more than likely now heard their car cold start at 3am and they're now reaching for the nearest weapon

Plus if someone threatens you with a machete you can just chuck them the key. Retreat to a safe spot, lock the door and then watch as they can't drive it away