ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Getting rid of a smoke smell in cars?

Got a slight suspicion that the car used to be a smokers.. Very very faint smell thankfully but it still annoys me.

Any tips to get rid of it? I've so far treated the leather and sprayed some Last Touch into the carpets lol

DCi 100
What mats are in the car? The standard plastic ones?

Roofliner may be a source?

That or a douzen or so air fresheners lol.

Golf GTD Mk7
fabreeeeeeze the sh1t out of everything. Leave the car to air out and it should be ok. Also use airfreshners maybe and dress all the surfaces in something that smells nice. I love Poorboys natural look dressing :approve:

I would also change the pollen filter, Possibly try an air-con bomb, Clean the seats and mats.

And also if possible a bit of cleaning on the roof lining, Spray on wet vac off if possible.

DCi 100
Rubber mats!

Roof line is a good point.. Safe enough to spray QD into them!?

Eh.. unsure... I remember cleaning one about pff.. 2 and half years ago!

I'll ask my Dad what they clean them with in about an hour or so :eek:

I'm sure you did the boot aswell as parcel shelf etc?

All advice appreciated cheers :)

It's my task for tomorrow, as well as other things. The mats are new so won't be them.

Glad it's only a faint smell. Can't stand the smell of stale smoke

Golf GTD Mk7
fabreeze for the smell, they use a diluted all purpose cleaner to clean the lining. warm obviously and with a scrubbing brush. Chuck the matts mate. get some nice ones. Don't use QD on it!!

tiTTy & SV650
charcoal is used for filtering, it has no odour trust me it will work

wikipedia said:
Purification and filtration
Charcoal may be activated to increase its effectiveness as a filter. Activated charcoal readily adsorbs a wide range of organic compounds dissolved or suspended in gases and liquids. Charcoal is often used to filter water to remove bacteria and undesired tastes. In certain industrial process, such as the purification of sucrose from cane sugar, impurities cause an undesirable color, which can be removed with activated charcoal. It is also used to absorb odors and toxins in gasses, such as air. One striking example is the use of charcoal to remove the smell of marijuana plants in small-scale residential settings. Charcoal filters are also used in some types of gas masks. The medical use of activated charcoal is mainly the adsorption of poisons, especially in the case of suicide attempts in which the patient has ingested a large amount of a drug. Activated charcoal is available without a prescription, so it is used for a variety of health-related applications. For example, it is often used to reduce discomfort (and embarrassment) due to excessive gas in the digestive tract.

Last edited:
  DCi 100
The mats are mega!

I have less rubber on all my 4 wheels :rasp:

I asked the Silver Fox, no idea. Either some detailing God will come along with an idea, or I'll shout up tomorrow when he's hopefully got me some to clean mine!

I'm guessing your not planning on removing the roof lining to clean it yea?

A3 Tdi
My car was slightly smoky and i just hooved it, used AG interior shampoo foam/spray every time i cleaned the car and drove with the windows down every drive. Now it smells lovely :)

Barge
Shampoo carpets and roof. (Can you use a Vax cleaner on the roof?)

Nothing worse than being a nonsmoker and getting a smokers car! :(

Better than yours. C*nt.
Halfords do AutoGlym Odour Eliminator and AutoFresh - treatment with the former and subsequently the latter removed the smell of smoke from my mate's Vectra lease car. Smoked in it heavily every day and it stunk - went back and the lease company didn't pick up on it so all good!

Better than yours. C*nt.
It's not too bad - it clears fairly quickly leaving it smelling of nothing. IMO anyway!

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Dad had this with his S-type

I bought him this odor eater bomb from halfords, you put the blowers on recirc and set the bomb off...

25 mins later all was well.

Not a 320d
If you really want to get rid of the smoke then why dont you go buy some carpet and uphoulstry cleaner, autoglym is probably the best ive used for the money and it smells good too.

Rug doctor or vax do carpet cleaner and ouder eliminator sprays, might be worth trying some All purpose cleaner too in a spray bottle, if you have meguiars apc or something similar, and using a brush to aggitate the full interior including roof liner. Think you mentioned you now have a land stalker, APC or whatever the leather and then condition it again, if it is leather.

Aren't you a keen detailer anyways ?

One of those air freshner bombs ?

/e bens already mentioned the bomb, if you dont fancy going OTT on the interior then get one from halfrauds.

AG Autofresh smells like chemicals Justin, stay well clear.

Febreeze is a perfectly good shout!

Hate the smell of fabreeze, Autofresh is also the nicest air freshner ive used, chem guys new car smell was disgusting.

Thanks all, not had the chance to get near it today, been detailing my brothers twingo rs.. And my mums iQ lol.