ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox whine on tickover...?

Evo
Fitted my pure motorsport air con delete to the 172 last week and ever since that very job there's a very suttle but irritating whine coming from the engine on tickover. Obviously presumed the belt was slipping but upon inspection it's coming from the N/S of the bay.

When the clutch is depressed the whining stops ( obviously as the gearbox stops rotating ) and comes back when clutch is released. Does it more so when it's cold and first started, but progressively getting worse over a week. Fluid in box checked and okay. All signs point towards a bearing failure in the box but seems odd it's started the very moment i've been playing around with the drive belts...

Before I go changing the box is this a common failure or am I looking in the wrong area with condeming the box? Car is a 2000 ph1 on 86000 miles. Gearbox performance is smooth and crunch free and it was faultless just a few weeks back.

Evo
Surely that would make the noise when i use the clutch and the bearing is engaged with the pressure plate ( actually spinning ). Can't see how it'd whine sitting idle on the input shaft?

Just after some guidance before I spunk £400 on a box or £600 having mine rebuilt.

Evo
Are they a common failure? It's almost come from silent to annoyingly loud overnight.

I'm wondering if anything I've done with the air con delete cold have affected something? Engine lifted out of mount O/S, crank pulley changed, timing checked, lightweight pulleys etc...

Volvo S60 T5
New gearbox time, if your lucky its a release bearing.
its nothing you have done , unless you can **** up a gearbox whilst working on the other side of the engine bay (;

Evo
Lol it'd be an achievement if i could ay?

Suppose i may aswell stick a lightweight flywheel in there whilst im at it then, best start saving up some funds before it gives up completely. Always on top of christmas aswell.

340i
Take it to Agency Transmission services... £275 for a rebuild. Loads of CS guys have used them.

Evo
I paid £600 for my last rebuild at newood transmissions, but then again it was jammed in 2nd lol.

Can't really rebuild as I can't afford to have the car off the road. So plan looks to be: 2nd hand eBay job gearbox, valeo clutch kit, two new driveshafts and maybe a lightweight flywheel if budget allows lol.

Although it's also an ideal time to fit a 182 mani with the subframe off...?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yes ideal time to go for a 182 manifold.

Wouldnt bother with the light flywheel, makes hardly any difference really.

Evo
Amazingly just as quick as it began whining it's stopped! Not a dicky bird even at below freezing weather. Haven't touched it or changes fluid etc lol. Been quiet for over a week of daily driving...

Still need to change clutch though as the thrust bearing has a small noise to it, probably save the cash and reuse box though, drives smoothly still.