ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox oil leak

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Have today finished fitting a new clutch and aux belt to the Phase 1 172.

Took it for a test drive and noticed a bit of an odd smell. On closer investigation it seems to be gearbox oil which is leaking to the floor.

Jacked the car up and had a look with the undertray removed.

Looks like oil in the bellhousing. Dont want to bugger the new clutch so stopped driving it immeduaitely.

Is it possible that the input shaft has sprung a leaky seal on the gearbox ? Where else could it be coming from ? Both driveshafts are dry....

Please help as i have already shed buckets of sweat on this project !!!

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Have you checked that you have bolted the driveshaft gaitor on the passenger side properly ye? should be 3 13mm bolts holding it in place,

also check the washer on the gearbox plug, give it a wipe and see if it comes out from there, change the washer if you have to.

Just a note, did you spill any g/oil when you filled it up, could be just some sitting on the top and just rolling down as you drive

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Have checked all the obvious ones like the driveshaft.

I remember inside the bellhousing on either side of the input shaft there are 2 bolts. What are these for ? The look to hold the sleeve that the clucth relaese bearing slides upon. Do the also hold the seal in place for the gearbox ?

That's the input shaft, it might have sprung a leak there, i've never seen one there but it's a possibility.

Are you sure it's gearbox oil?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
taken from my thread...

14052007046.jpg

those 2 bolts look like their holding the black cover on the box to me, but dont hold me on that tho.. il try and find out for you

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Those are the ones im talking about.

Do you think that would have a seal behind it ? Dont quite see how oil can get in the bellhousing from there !

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
I would say 90% at the moment. Will be having a closer look tomorrow...

Can you confirm that round the back of the gearbox and underneath there is a small gap ( finger size ) that is open to the flywheel \ bellhousing ? Im sure i can feel \ see oil in here......

ps. I did not remove the flywheel. cant be crank seal ?

100% coming from the bellhousing/block joint?

Lionel Richie
crank seal could be fucked and you never noticed (hence why your old clutch went) just a thought

yeah you can see the flywheel from the back

they always leak out of the selector arm bit on the bottom

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
the old clutch was still good. it was the crb that faikled - big style.....

have you ever known a gearbox input seal to go ? does that plate around the input shaft carry a seal or just the sleeve for the CRB ?

crank seal could be f**ked and you never noticed (hence why your old clutch went) just a thought

yeah you can see the flywheel from the back

they always leak out of the selector arm bit on the bottom

Lionel Richie
never seen one go, but i'm sure its not unheard of, i'm not a gearbox man by trade but yes there's a few bearings and seals in there

ITB'd MK1
there is a seal behind that plate, only seen them go when disturbed though. If you swapped bits about you may have unseated the seal???

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Just to update.

Had a close look today and it would seem i have shot myself in the foot over this. Oil is definitely leaking from input shaft into bellhousing.

Must have disturbed the seal as danny states. "If it aint broke dont fix it". Those words are ringing around my head.

Having a local guy have a look at it for me. I have run out of time on this so feeling a bit frustrated :(