ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox for 172 TURBO

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
should we open another topic and leave this one to the gearbox issue?
scoff, maybe you could share some of your knowledge regarding the fitment of that VW box, would be much appreciated, thx!

R5GTT, 2L turbo
Hi Ripp,

I just returned a PM to Felix on that subject, maybe he would be good enough to copy and paste it here too. Chris

Clio 172 Turbo
well i have a block and a NEW box, you can have them both cheap if you can sort out the shipping side of things
give me please a price for the megane block + gearbox .
i have manage to damage the 3rd gearbox :))
thanks .

ValverInBits
for the VW 02J gearbox, factor in custom driveshafts (300+ or so) and also making a gear shift linkage to fit........

I like fred's Idea of the ND0 megane box, however I don't know how much power they are good for.

edit: The chassis-leg work required for the megane box may also be a pain.

Clio 172 Turbo
about the 02j vw gearbox.. I will need custom drive shafts among other things, there's no one here able to build them. If any of you are aware of someone who could do this job in the UK pls let me know.
already snapped the 3rd gbox . I barely managed to reach scoff via PM so not much details for me so far
any help building this would be much appreciated
thx, Felix

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
View attachment 50284

can't upload the jc5 template but anyway you get the idea.
many things to work on now, mounts, custom driveshafts, flywheel, gear linkage and so on. can't wait to see the car run ;)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
any progress already?

i have a fully turbo build F7R to be placed in my GTT.
i also have the same issue, what gearbox to use?

i'm also considering to fit a VW gearbox but will be pleased if i have some more info on how to do it :approve:

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
we are using a 02M 6 speed gearbox from a 1,8T seat leon. will post some pics soon enough when the box will be on the car (waiting for the clutch kit and flywheel for the moment)
there is a GTT using the same combo (f4r engine plus vag box) in the UK (scoff's car, he's a member here too)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i know but i presume he is busy or something :p

thnx for the fast reply! i'm looking forward to the pics!

can you give me a list of things to do with some tips?
many thanks!

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
If your into 5 turbos join RTOC as there's all kinds of engines conversions been done and documented on there.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
yep^ you'll find scoff there too. he helped us a lot with our project

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
I know but i'm member of more then 5 forums atm. Don't feel like signing up and pay for another one :p

Ripp, would you mind to E-mail me all the info you have regarding the gearbox?
You would be a great help!

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
pm you email address and I'll ask the owner for the latest details and keep you posted

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
some recent updates:
the adaptor plate is done, so are the hybrid mk5 gti/renault driveshafts (no pics of them yet)
there are also 2 custom mounts that you'll see in the pics
just ordered the 36-1 trigger wheel and sensor today. the trigger wheel will be bolted to the lower crank pulley
once the flywheel and clutch will arrive from SPEC a spacer between the fly and the crank will be machined along with custom made bolts

View attachment 54965
View attachment 54966
View attachment 54967
View attachment 54968

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
nice work and thanks for posting! Only i have one big issue: i want to use the original management but then i need te original flywheel....

Edit: do you have drawing of the adapter plate? (Y)

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
how much was this to be made?

i have a leon 1.8t box lying about that i would ideally like to bolt to my f7r but i gave up on the adaptor plate idea.
problems i came across was the starter ring being out of place, the trigger wheel and mounting point for the sensor being completley non existant or miles out, and the input shaft of the box being too short.

how have you overcome these obstacles?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i think i can give you the answer. an other management system with a trigger wheel on the other side of the crankshaft.

so the problem with the flywheel, trigger and trigger pattern is solved...

with an adapter on the crankshaft you would be able to get the flywheel more out so that the input shaft for the gearbox will be long enough :)

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
nice work and thanks for posting! Only i have one big issue: i want to use the original management but then i need te original flywheel....

Edit: do you have drawing of the adapter plate? (Y)

or you can use the original ECU and have a custom vag flywheel with 60-2 pattern teeth on the back, which is not that simple to do..
an yes, we have the drawing ;)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
And can you post it or send it to my E-mail?

Edit:
Did you convert the clio to hyd. Clutch?

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
so how have you spaced the flywheel out then? im running an omex managment so this would mean me needing a trigger wheel on the other side of the block bolted to the crank pulley? then id need to position the sensor at TDC (which is a task in itself)?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
And can you post it or send it to my E-mail?

Edit:
Did you convert the clio to hyd. Clutch?
I will speak to the owner and ask him. and yes, it will be a hydraulic clutch
so how have you spaced the flywheel out then? im running an omex managment so this would mean me needing a trigger wheel on the other side of the block bolted to the crank pulley? then id need to position the sensor at TDC (which is a task in itself)?

no, because the fly along with the clutch kit are on their way. once we'll have the fly the spacer will be machined.
yes there will be a trigger wheel on that pulley on the other side and the sensor positioned.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
due to all the extra money and effort i'm really considering just to use the jc5. does anyone here has experience with a re-enforced jc5 gearbox on a clio turbo?

i read scoff has wrecked 3 jc5's but i can't find out if he re-enforced them....

i'm also considering of not doing it at all anymore.... i would love to have a sick pocket rocket but i have all the stuff for a c1j engine to go up to 170bhp and also have a lot fun.... maybe with injection on it it will be more like 200+bhp

MERCEDES CLS AMG
There isnt much you can do with a JC5 box on a budget. It's the reason i and many other people decided to go the VAG route when doing conversions. The Renault tackle just isnt up to it.

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
i know but did i say it's on a small budget? i want to re-enforce the end of the housing so that the 2 axles wont split the gearbox housing and also a sper-diff so the diff wont collapse (and i get the grip i need :p )

just don't fancy to make driveshafts, mounts, adapter plate, motormanagement due to an other flywheel etc.

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
We found a company claiming that they could uprate the box to be about 20-30% stronger but it's expensive. more expensive than the vag box conversion

there is a companie in gloucester called poeton's that coat metal bits to make them stronger , not sure if they could do anything with a gearbox not even sure if they deal with the public , they do a lot of work for william's formula 1 cars , they coat the pistons and rods to withstand 1000's of degree's , one guy there claimed that they could put a coating on a engine so it would be bomb proof ,

RS RIP
i know but did i say it's on a small budget? i want to re-enforce the end of the housing so that the 2 axles wont split the gearbox housing and also a sper-diff so the diff wont collapse (and i get the grip i need :p )

just don't fancy to make driveshafts, mounts, adapter plate, motormanagement due to an other flywheel etc.

There's someone here in Holland who has experience strengthening the gearbox/diff on these boxes.
He does gearbox recons for a living. Does'nt seem to be expensive but i do'nt know the details , i could ask ?

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
You mean Reinier, cannonballman on RTC.

I know he does that but i read negative stories on all forums. Dutch included.
Edit: not with Reinier but just jc/jb boxes

The only way to go seems to be a vag box. The problem is that it needs a lot of modifications like driveshafts etc.
The next problem is i will need to use a stand alone management while i was planning to use the original management...

RS RIP
You mean Reinier, cannonballman on RTC.

I know he does that but i read negative stories on all forums. Dutch included.
Edit: not with Reinier but just jc/jb boxes

The only way to go seems to be a vag box. The problem is that it needs a lot of modifications like driveshafts etc.
The next problem is i will need to use a stand alone management while i was planning to use the original management...

spot on, hahah the Reno scene is a small one ! Have you tried Herman Minderhout ? (aka The French Connection in Holland?)

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Ripp, can you share the drawings of the adaptor plate?

and how is the project proccessing?

ripp

ClioSport Club Member
  182 FFAT
the car is ready and working, needs the MOT to be done and the insurance. will post pics and vids asap.
tutuur, I'll send you a pm regarding the drawing

R5 gtt, R27 F1 team
Nice to read it's going well!

I hope the vids will be a motivation for me to keep going :D