ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox explosion - gripper LSD inside

Clio Sport
The gearbox was right after putting everything together. After couple of laps at the track day i did downshift from 3 to 2 gear and kaboom happened.

The mechanic at the shop says that 3 bolts went loose. You can see it at the pic.

IMG_7889_zpsf470a510.jpg

IMG_4511_zps5d8dfd37.jpg

gripper1_zpsb3efb366.jpg

gripper2_zps94389b63.jpg

gripper3_zpseb237fca.jpg

Questions:

1. Does anyone of you know what Nm these bolts should be tighten?

2. Should mechanic use any loctite glue with these ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I don't know the official torque figure, but I've tightened them before with my snap on impact gun and used loctite. I can try and find out if there's a specific torque figure for you.

I've got that section of gearbox available as well btw.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
They have to have loctite or they will come loose if heavy use......And i alway use new bolts when my LSD is rebuilt.

Clio Sport
I don't know the official torque figure, but I've tightened them before with my snap on impact gun and used loctite. I can try and find out if there's a specific torque figure for you.

I've got that section of gearbox available as well btw.

Thanks Mark, I do have a spare gearbox. I'm in a dilemma right know whether to buy new CW from gripper or use stock CW from my old gearbox - there is some kind of adapter needed afaik ?

They have to have loctite or they will come loose if heavy use......And i alway use new bolts when my LSD is rebuilt.

Do you know if gripper recommends to use loctite ? Becouse if they do it means that the shop which was puting LSD into the gearbox made a huge mistake...

I still don't know if the threads in these loosen bolts are fine...

Last edited:

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Thanks Mark, I do have a spare gearbox. I'm in a dilemma right know whether to buy new CW from gripper or use stock CW from my old gearbox - there is some kind of adapter needed afaik ?
Yes mate there's an adapter plate that is welded to the original crownwheel and this converts them to a bolt on item rather than press fit.
I know they currently don't have any of the adapter plates in stock though, but will have some soon. I'm with evogone as well, they need loctite even if gripper don't recommend it. It's just a bit of insurance.