ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gearbox drone noise under load in 5th?

182 FF, A6 Avant
Noticed this a few days ago and concerned it's my box on it's way out.

On the motorway, 5th gear from speeds of 65-75 and under load, I get a droning type noise. It sounds a bit like a wheel bearing, but it doesn't rumble. It also goes (or is too quiet to hear) if I let off the power.

I've seen a few people mention this type of noise but no answers posted up. Any ideas? Should I start getting money together for a rebuild of the box?

182 FF, A6 Avant
Sorry to bump, but any ideas? It definitely seems limited to that gear and scenario.

RB clio 182
I get a high pitched drone in 5th when lightly under load but goes if you let off.

Never really bothered me tbh....

Its not notchy when cold or hot and it doesnt grind in any gear so im not overly worried.

If its anything like mine, I wouldnt worried as long as theres no grinding or notchiness mate.

Clio 182 (cup packs)
I had to replace my gearbox in my old Clio dci 100. Started with a high pitch whine in 5th gear on the motorway at around 65-70 or above. Then stopped when it wasn't under load.

It then started happening in 3rd gear so I found a new box on 24/7 spares! Can't remember a droning noise though.

182 FF, A6 Avant
Thanks guys.

I'll just stick with it until it gets worse or goes bang then!

Tempting to get another box and have it reconditioned ready to put in though.

Sinced I removed my airbox to fit the Ktec induction I hear a whine in 5th, and if i put my clutch down I also hear it, back into gear and it goes.

I changed my gearbox oil before i removed the airbox with carlube 75w90, I think its could be a worn bearing and the removal of the airbox being a loss of sound deadening.

I am going to change the oil again to better stuff and the correct grade. I think it could also be an air noise with the airbox now gone.

Westfield, 182, 200
I'd live with it. After driving an Audi TT for a while, there're all sorts from the clio.

I'd only worry about it if it gets really noisy.