ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

gear box oil

Clio 172 Cup
can you buy it for the 172 any where or its it a olny from renault job also what grade is it ??

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
i had mine done at the same time as the clutch for £20
looks like it was a bargain and they showed me the bottle cos i asked if they used the right stuff :D

Sorry to gatecrash this thread.

Is changing the gearbox oil an easy enough job ?

Where is the fill plug ?
On the top of the gearbox ?
Or on the side ?
And where is the drain plug ?

And is it just a case of piling in the oil till it over flows and refit plug ?

Or fill it, go for a wee gentle run to circulate the new oil around the box and then top up to level it out ?

172 cup
will see the fill plug if you remove airbox, drain plug is at bottom of box. Easy to see when undertray removed. Fill it untill it drips out of fill hole, put plug in and its done

will see the fill plug if you remove airbox, drain plug is at bottom of box. Easy to see when undertray removed. Fill it untill it drips out of fill hole, put plug in and its done

Ok cheers ;)

I guess you need to make up some kinda funnel attachment with a hose on end of it do you ?

Whats the drain plug size ?
Is it the same as the sump plug for draing engine oil ?
And i take it the drain plug has no washer on it that needs replaced ;)

P.s This may sound silly but what does the fill plug look like ?

172 cup
fill plug is usually white plastic, just screws out by hand. There is a washer on drain plug, upto you if you want to replace it. Yer I've got a lovely funnel with a breather pipe off my old mk1 clio 1.8 16v spare engine lol

Ok cheers Riley ;)

I take it the plastic screw is easily broken though :(

And is it a normal thread ?
By that i mean it aint a left hand thread or anything ?