ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gauges

Made my first trip out on track at the weekend

Thoroughly enjoyed it :) but my mate with an Astra VXR has an oil temp gauge that at one point in the day read 120 Celsius...

After this, I'd quite like to fit a gauge to find out what my temps are doing whilst on track

Any other gauges I should fit at the same time? I was thinking oil and water temp, and oil pressure. But should I have any others to keep an eye on?

Any help appreciated :) Jon

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
How do you fit these? I had a search, but it came up with no real answers :(

Pressure is done with a T piece adaptor into where the standard sensor is on the front of the block (just above the oil filter)
Temperature should be done into the sump ideally. I'd stick with a pressure gauge, but be aware they do little but propagate paranoia most of the time

Cheers for the replies guys.

Could I use a sandwich plate to run the temp sensor off? I won't have time to sort out a sensor in the sump. Or will it be influenced too much by the temperature of the block?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
you can yes, I just never recommend sandwich plates as the sensor ones usually leak and cause more problems than you gain by having a gauge

172/1.2/E30
Cheers for the replies guys.

Could I use a sandwich plate to run the temp sensor off? I won't have time to sort out a sensor in the sump. Or will it be influenced too much by the temperature of the block?

Just wait until the next oil change is due and fit a sensor instead of the sump plug.

Lionel Richie
^agreed!

I use the SPA guages a lot, brilliant stuff! never had a problem with the sandwich plates leaking on the F4R's

Cup In bits
nope, just fit the sensors into some adaptors on the ends of the cooler pipes - simples!

What size are SPA gauge senders thread size? Would there be room for pressure and temp senders on my oil cooler take off?

From what I can find the biggest an8 sender take off is 1/8 npt and SPA's senders look a hell of a lot bigger.

Cup In bits
Sandwich plate and an oil cooler take off is a bit rough though. Bit like having a triple cheeseburger, it's not the done thing.

Cup In bits
Right, think I've got it

I'm thinking this gauge:
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p10954/SPA-PRESSURE-/-TEMPERATURE-DUAL-GAUGE/product_info.html

With this sandwhich plate:
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p...CH-PLATE-FOR-SENDER-FITMENT/product_info.html

Is this all I need? Any extra fittings etc or wiring or is it all with the SPA gauge kit?

Keen to know myself, I'm just away to order one these gauges. Supposedly it comes with a heat shrink pre made loom with a separate button to control all the functions. All it needs is a live feed and earth supposedly.

Cup In bits
I'm sorry mate I don't think they compare to SPA gauges in any way shape or form. Spa comes with pre made looms, different backlight colours, contrast, brightness, high/low level warnings amongst other features. Accurate to 0.1 PSI

Cup In bits
Yeah they are quite expensive but once you weigh up the quality, reliability, accuracy not to mention the neater install im told they provide then they are not too bad. All there gauges have two readings as well with all the senders etc supplied so no need for two separate gauges.

M3, Cup racer'd 182
Yeah that's true you pay for what you get these days, only prob i'd have with paying that money for 2in1 dial is another say £300 on top and you could buy a race technology dash 2 and have it all on one display.

Ex 182 owner
Sorry to dig this up. Just for my own entertainment I am Interested in fitting an SPA dual water/oil temp gauge.

Oil temp. I understand the sandwich plate principles, any advice on which ones work best on the F4R? there seems to be a million versions on eBay. Both with dual seals or one big rubber washer.

Water temp. How does this fit into the system and where is best? Guessing it's got to be inline with a coolant pipe and needs an adaptor.

Power. Spa looks like it's fused. Does this mean it runs straight to the battery terminals. Or is there a better way of doing it.

Any advice most welcome.

I know it's not a race car but I like doing little mods like this.