ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Gasket in bellhousing broken? leaking oil? should i worry?!

BG 182
Well after having my 182 for about a month I noticed a tiny dripping of gearbox oil coming through. I took it to a local garage who said that 'the gasket in the bell housing is broken' and the only fix is to take the box apart to replace the gasket which is going to cost £285 for them to send it off to the gearbox people they use - they dont do it themselves. He says its if I dont sort it I can take it back to them every 5-6 weeks and he'll top the oil up for me.
Im no mechanic but the oil appears to be coming off the little plastic tray thingy (told you im no mechanic!) So, should i be worrying? Ive seen other threads saying a little oil leak is no big thing but im a tad paranoid having just bought it and from having experience with french hot hatches lol!!

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Cheers

S4 Avant
How do they know it's the gearbox and not the crank seal, or sump gasket?

Something like the sump gasket is a really cheap fix.

DAR

172 Cup toy
No they don't.There is a repair kit available. I repaired mine (with the help over the phone from Fred) in about 90 mins.

DAR

172 Cup toy
I believe the kit has been about for a while. The Renault dealer knew exactly what I wanted.

Dodgy one
No they don't.There is a repair kit available. I repaired mine (with the help over the phone from Fred) in about 90 mins.

Im in the same boat as you was, any idea on a part number?, Renault havent been able to find it, i mentioned the jb3/1 boxes and they couldnt pick anything up under them either

DAR

172 Cup toy
770 138 9670 - seal repair kit. £35. bit fiddly, as you have assemble it around the selector shaft after cutting the old seal off, then press it in and bingo!