ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Garages in Basingstoke

1.5dci
Not sure if this is the right place to be asking and stuff, but could do with finding a garage to check and probs replace my shocks and have no idea about garages in or around Basingstoke.

I remember there were people at the first meet i went to who either worked or lived here too, so is there anywhere you'd recommend?

so far i've found the nation wide type places, a Basingstoke mot and tyre centre and a few other ones listed in google. Could do with finding somewhere that wont rip me off though, from what i can tell in the Haynes guide it's not too bad a job to do, but i could be wrong

1.5dci
yea, would love to do it my self but not got any experience or tools (except some screw arivers, a aj and a few other generic bits in a A4 box file in the boot)

What sort of tools would I need?

1.5dci
ah thanks, looks good, will have to see though, would have to be weekend as i can't see a easy way of getting between there and basing view/popley, it's a pain living somewhere you don't know anything or anyone

1.5dci
ah kwl, will have a think about it, not sure which ones have gone (or if any have, i might just be getting paranoid that something isn't right!) might see if my bf can tell over the weekend, unfortunately he's done loads on his old metro, but says he wont touch mine co its too modern!

If i try and get to the next meet would anyone be able to tell if they're not right, or is it more complicated, i tryed pushing them up and down, but couldn't tell, although i'm awful at judging stuff like that anyways

1.5dci
hehe i don't think its the shocks anymore, found the mot and looked at the advisary, lower ball joint seems to fit the problem well, and was a slight play back 10 months ago, guessing it's just got excessive play over the last 12k miles! now to get that replaced and it should be back to normal, hopefully!

330i. E30 Touring.
Yep, could well be that.

Easy enough to change and a damn site cheaper than new shocks!

1.5dci
yep, wondering if i should pop in somewhere for a free health check thing whilst i'm at it try and be prepared for the mot next month.
Anyone got any views of ATS euromaster, just found i've got 10% off as i'm a student, are they competent or just a bunch of monkeys?
seems the location makes it easy to drop the car off in the morning at Daneshill, walk into work and then walk back in the evening as it's close enough.

1.5dci
ah thanks, rang a few places for quotes at lunch, but everywhere want to see the car first, before quoting, so might go around on saturday and see whats open.

Looked at the mhautos and they seem to have gd reviews and really close to mine so might give them a call, blue peter garage seems good too, so will have to see what happens.
Was recommended js auto services from someone at work, but he also mentioned they can be a tad overpriced

330i. E30 Touring.
If your fella's got experience with working on cars, he can inspect/change a ball joint!

It's a pretty quick job.

330i. E30 Touring.
LOL! good point, mate.

Wait a month and you can be Failsport's first customer, Kat.

Free bacon sarnie with every job.

1.5dci
Sounds gd, although i'm doing 700 miles between 28th to 31st, so might be better off getting it sorted before then, if i leave getting it done then defo though. Will keep it in mind for other work if thats ok too though

LOL! good point, mate.

Wait a month and you can be Failsport's first customer, Kat.

Free bacon sarnie with every job.

1.5dci
yea, was suspicious.
Might break out the haynes guide when i get home, if only i already had tools and stuff, don't really need tool expenses atm

Renault jack would do, but shouldnt work under a car on a jack. Axle stands can be picked up for under a tenner a paid in places like Lidl or Aldi and are fine. So just use renault jack to lift and place on axle stand.

No need for a torque wrench and shouldnt be doing anything up that tight you need to stand on the handle :S

1.5dci
ah kk, thats more tempting then.

Nah my dads always stood on the handle for putting wheels back on, it's quite worrying, luckily he know's virtually nothing about mechanics, so never done anything else, but it's not a gd habit. I realised this wasn't gd practise, to much can be crushed, also hard to get undone again!

Was a 197
I used to have and mk2 clio and did all mechanic stuff myself and im not far away in Sandhurst and have all equipment to do job, and also better rep than Failsport HQ :rasp: ;) !!

Last edited:

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
better rep than Failsport HQ :rasp: ;) !!

129074637603352721.jpg

The cheek, my apprentice Budgie is famous worldwide ...;)

1.5dci
attempt failed, got the parts, socket set, also the torque wrench and lifting kit, so could get it done right, but then when doing it, seems everythings been over tightened and gone rusty, couldn't even get the first nut off after the wheels :-(
So seems i'll still need to go and get it done at a garage, at least i have the parts.