ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

G3 Clay mitt! Amazing (Few Photos)

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Each to the own in that sense I guess, I wash it every Sunday as I do 50 miles a day on country roads, after about 6 washes I'll give it a going over with the mitt and crack some polish and wax on her

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
I suppose but id be topping up my wax every few weeks with a claying every 4-6 months and then starting again.

Far too much damage done with the mitts IMO to be doing it so frequent

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Haven't noticed much damage as of yet, just enhances the colour if anything

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Glad I can be of help for people thinking or now going for buying the mitt. I've seen @Knuckles as his level of cleaning and I barely know half of the products he names. I just enjoy the semi pro clean (none of this arch cleaning and stuff) and that's how I came across this mitt! And for the price aswell. Any halfords you go into will have a G3 stand with all there products! Will it be 3 for 2 aswell it might be worth going for 3 things even if it's just the mitt that takes your fancy

Lol I barely scratch the surface of cleaning products :blush: cheers for the mention though haha.

I swear by G3 scratch remover for removing stubborn marks and after wet sanding.

That's via machine though. Their paint rennovator is also a decent product. It brings out the colour brilliantly. I'm not sure if it has any cut or whether it's just a cleanser, but that could be worth looking into in between your claying and waxing :)

I'd definitely reccomend spray based tar removers prior to using a mitt though, you'll get the same or better results but much quicker.

Your car does look amazing. I still need to see it in person :smiley:

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Ah I realise what happened, it's not in the detailing section. Anyone claying their car every 1 or 2 months should have the mitt removed from their possession. I can only imagine what those cars look like under correct lighting!

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
Ah I realise what happened, it's not in the detailing section. Anyone claying their car every 1 or 2 months should have the mitt removed from their possession. I can only imagine what those cars look like under correct lighting!

I don't own the book of detail nor do I wish too.

Besides cars are for driving, hence why mine might need cleaning more than others

And cheers @Knuckles we'll definatly something north west based soon! Badly need a picture of a LY and a AG together

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
But you're damaging the car. Would you rather no one actually said anything?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Just incase anyone takes offends to anything said in here, here is what can happen from excessive contact with a panel (in this case, a clay mitt)

pa210122.jpg

Someone said something about not having access to a 1000W light to see this damage... Fair enough if you don't have one to see it day to day, but on the odd occasion the sun is out, it'll all be highlighted.

Scrooge and Gally are offering genuine advice, not trying to put people down or slate the clay mitts.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Only used twice a year by me...once in the spring (just finished) and once before winter sets in. That's more than enough. The rest of the time it simply gets a blow over with the pressure washer and if it's lucky occasionaly a 2BM wash with a normal soft mitt.

I appreciate your advice guys, will calm down on the clay mitting from now on!
Good man. My father still does 25k+ miles a year in his and I clay it once, maybe twice a year. If your car is well protected = less contaminants = less claying = less damage to your paint. As Knuckles has already posted, your paint will suffer the more you drag contaminants across it.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
i have one .. gonna defo give my car a bash with it. had it over a year and never clayed it. will be intrested to use it and protect the paint

Have been debating a clay mitt as as others have said, using a bar is irritating, particuarlly when you drop the slippery little bugger and have to throw it away -.-

Think this review has swung me, and I will be purchasing one.

Quick tip, put down an old towel beneath the panel you're working on. If it slips out of your hands (Nitrile gloves make it easier to grip I've found) it will land on a towel rather than a dirty floor.

I have one of these, I've just finished giving the car a panel by panel workout over the last few weeks/washes (I only do one panel with each full body wash as I give it a full on polish/seal/wax after and time is always a limiting factor for me). I wash it first with the G3 body prep shampoo and also use a that diluted as a lube.

As a complete amateur who just enjoys doing what I do to my car for me it's perfect. Quick, easy, effective. So what if it introuduces some slight marring/swirl marks that you need a 1,000w halogen light to see, I don't own a 1,000w halogen light nor do I intend to so that's not an issue for me.
It's been said already, Mark, but the sun/street lights/other car HIDs will show up swirls. But get what you mean in terms of priorities.
Ant what's your thoughts on these mitts? I was thinking of getting one
Not worth undoing all your hard work to save 30 mins in the wet processes, RDR. Stick with your Bilt Hamber chap.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
Not instead, use it before clay. It's an important part of the decon process.

The more contaminants you can get rid of before you put clay/mitt to paint the less chance of damage inflicted.
Would u use this before 2 bucket method?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I don't think anyone has suggested that a clay mitt or the towels doesn't work as well at removing contaminants as a traditional clay bar. On dirtier heavier contaminated cars they are indeed much faster and more effective method.

But as said they are more likely to cause marring or other damage to your paintwork. I guess it depends on how precious you are with your paint. if you mind the swirls that show up under sunlight or street lights etc. if not then crack on, your paint will be cleaner than not using one. If you do you should really consider the potential damage you are causing.

On a well maintained car that is waxed or sealed you shouldn't need to clay with either a bar, mitt or towel more than twice a year. clay it once, use some sort of polish or cleanser then get a spray sealant like carpro reload that is sprayed on and buffed off and see how much cleaner the car is for the next 4 to 6 months, and how the bonded contaminants that you use a clay mitt to remove, are simply washed off.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
I've been using autoglm tar remover in a garden spray bottle at the moment, does the trick just painfully slow at reacting! Also does anybody know if of a quality alloy cleaner and tyre paste of some sort? As you can see by the pictures my wheels just look not dark enough against my black alloys?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
For initial wheel and tyre clean, use any all purpose cleaner diluted down to get rid of the grime, then an iron remover to remove brake pad deposits. This should bring them up pretty well. Get them waxed or sealed then after that you should only really need a strong dilution of generic car shampoo to clean them up then maintain with wax or sealant to keep protected for easy washing.
If you find they still don't wash down that easily use something a little more aggressive like autofinesse imperial, valet pro bilberry or powermaxed frequent use wheel cleaner. Just remember these will degrade your wheel protection that little bit quicker.

For tyres meguiars endurance is always a good buy. Just give them a good wash and degreasing first, and apply to a dry tyre

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
For initial wheel and tyre clean, use any all purpose cleaner diluted down to get rid of the grime, then an iron remover to remove brake pad deposits. This should bring them up pretty well. Get them waxed or sealed then after that you should only really need a strong dilution of generic car shampoo to clean them up then maintain with wax or sealant to keep protected for easy washing.
If you find they still don't wash down that easily use something a little more aggressive like autofinesse imperial, valet pro bilberry or powermaxed frequent use wheel cleaner. Just remember these will degrade your wheel protection that little bit quicker.

For tyres meguiars endurance is always a good buy. Just give them a good wash and degreasing first, and apply to a dry tyre

Cheers for that mate, pay day can't come quick enough. Guess that's pretty much a slogan for CS

Golf GT & A4 Avant
A slogan for anyone foolish enough to like a clean car! You know it's bad when you pick a product over another because "it feels nicer to use"

Problem is I now find it relaxing and therapeutic! Had a rubbish day at work so the wife's inside with dinner on the table and I'm insistant I wash both cars before I will come in.

Cropper

ClioSport Club Member
  Renault Sport 200T
A slogan for anyone foolish enough to like a clean car! You know it's bad when you pick a product over another because "it feels nicer to use"

Problem is I now find it relaxing and therapeutic! Had a rubbish day at work so the wife's inside with dinner on the table and I'm insistant I wash both cars before I will come in.

Like a kid at bedtime! No harm in that.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
I'm the same. Did one of my headlights the other day, so the front end needed washing. Girlfriend says 'you're only doing half?' Yeah course, an hour later, lol

mk1 Octavia VRS
Used my clay mitt for the first time yesterday and was really impressed - much quicker to use than a normal clay bar and you can hear it removing the bonded contaminants so you don't spend longer than you need to on each area.

Now just need to find the time to give the car a good polish and wax :)

Used my clay mitt for the first time yesterday and was really impressed - much quicker to use than a normal clay bar and you can hear it removing the bonded contaminants so you don't spend longer than you need to on each area.

Now just need to find the time to give the car a good polish and wax :smile:
Not to start up arguments again in this delightful thread, but if you can hear it working, what you're hearing is friction between the cloth and the paint surface. Friction means damage, plain and simple.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Is it not friction between the cloth and the contaminents?

The same as with clay, when it eventually falls silent there are no contaminents on the surface to make a noise with as they've been lifted off.

AdDaMan

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah it should make a noise on the first few passes and they silent and smooth when the contaminants have been removed. (With plenty of lube!)

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
For anyone buying a new one you should be breaking it in on the glass first for a bit.