ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Funny Noise (help a girlie out!!!)

172 Cup
Ok, I have had my car for about two months now and so far i couldnt be happier and nothing has gone wrong (touch wood)

But about a week ago i noticed that between second and third gear, at about 3000revs there is a funny metalic kind of rattle noise. It sounds like its coming from the exhaust..........could something of come loose? If that is the case, why does it only do it at 3000revs and only in 2nd and 3rd gear?

Or am i completely wrong and could it be something more serious?

Help!!:eek:

n2x

e60/f10
I have the same problem. I think its the exhaust vibrating against the bottom of the car.

172 Cup
I have heard that this is a common problem in all clios not just the RS's..... If it is the centre section does that mean i have an excuse to upgrade the whole exhaust system?!:eek:

Might just be the heatsheild lose. Although mine was doing this and I thought it would be the exhaust/heatshield, but it was a bolt on the alternator that had come lose.

clio cup 172 2002 blue
get your center box cheacked i had the same thing and the box had split it can be welded (its a hard weld though) or it could just be the heat shield but take it to a garage get on the ramp i ended up gettind a whole cat back system for £260 from scorpion.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Check the rear exhaust Mount, Mine was doing exactly the same thing and when looking under the back of the car I could clearly see the rear mount rubber had perrished.

Cost was £21 from teh dealers and took 5 min to fix.

172 Cup
LOL, thanks guys! I have no idea where to take it though.........better rape google for some mechanics!!!

172 Cup
LOL, thanks guys! I have no idea where to take it though.........better rape google for some mechanics!!!

This noise you speak of? Does it whisper "miltek,miltek, milllltttteekkk...." when stopped at the lights? lol:eek:

Unfortunately.........I have heard no actual words mixed up in the rattle noise!!! I might just find some random male that looks like he knows what he is doing to take a look!!! I hate taking my car to garages, I always get patronised for being female! I hate being called love, darlin', sweetheart..........:S

Audi S1
These is common with clio's, either the pacel shelf, glove box any thing which could make an noise does haha... although i have a magnex exhaust on my car, i sometimes get a clonk when changing gear nothing serious but can b annoying, i got sum new rubbers, but yer it comes from the middle

172 Cup
These is common with clio's, either the pacel shelf, glove box any thing which could make an noise does haha... although i have a magnex exhaust on my car, i sometimes get a clonk when changing gear nothing serious but can b annoying, i got sum new rubbers, but yer it comes from the middle

It is deffo not a clonk!! It is a kind of grinding/rattle but it is def metal on metal!!! I have no other rattles so far!! :rasp:

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
It's a clio, if you get worried by every rattle, you'll go crazy. Turn the stereo up, put your fut down and enjoy!

Audi S1
If your that worried go to the garage get it sorted and give them a flash....to check if your lights are working of course

Megane
sounds like the heatsheild over the centre box, mine did it and was reattached.
Apparently it is quite common for them to work loose...

White clique
does it happen just on cold, only when warmed up or both? If only when warm then the metal has expanded a bit and might just be rattling against the heatsheald. Mine 172 and 182s all did it, and to be honest i quite liked the sound - you hear it quite a bit when big supercars floor it.

heatshield...

just stick a new washer on the mounting nut thing...you should see it hanging loose at one of the corners..

s**t happens

172 ph2
It's a clio, if you get worried by every rattle, you'll go crazy. Turn the stereo up, put your fut down and enjoy!

I have to say.. I usually do this... air con on etc... But recently i've started driving with the window down... save fuel etc and the amount of new noises and strange rattles I hear is untrue ! Got a new front spring the other day as I realised it sounded knackered (and it was) and now the exchaust is making a sound !! Going to turn the stereo back up, much cheaper :p

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

I have to say.. I usually do this... air con on etc... But recently i've started driving with the window down... save fuel etc and the amount of new noises and strange rattles I hear is untrue ! Got a new front spring the other day as I realised it sounded knackered (and it was) and now the exchaust is making a sound !! Going to turn the stereo back up, much cheaper :p

You put the window down to save fuel? lol

You mean lose 6% of the economy your getting with it up?

Window down = Parachute effect (drag):eek:

Ph1 172 & meg 225 lu
mine has the same rattle, took it for a new exhaust and the baffles were loose in the centre section (there was no problem with it apart from the rattle)
just live with it untill its totally had it (save some money) ;)

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP

You put the window down to save fuel? lol

You mean lose 6% of the economy your getting with it up?

Window down = Parachute effect (drag):eek:

bit of subject but on/from mythbusters (a tv prog od discovery) driving below 30 having the window down does not efect mpg. above it does

so if your driving around town use the window if you not use the a/c