ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Fuel Gauge or Range Computer What do you trust?

Dynamique 1.2 16v
Had my clio just over a week now not been sure wether to trust the range computer or the gauge

Today my Gauge was just slightly above the red line but my range computer said i had about 90 odd miles left but i bottled it and tried finidng a petrol station with some fuel haha

Put a tenners worth in priced at 1.38.9 the gauge was reading between the first and second white line but the range said i had about 230 miles

So just wondering what do you all go by the gauge or the computer

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
If you'd filled it to the brim, you'd know how much you had left...(50 litres [or whatever it holds] less how much it took to fill it up).

Then, knowing what your likely mpg is...you'll know how far out/accurate it is.

Until you do that, you've only got really random guesswork to go on.

Golf GTI PP Mk7
my 172 cup was good for near 40miles once the light came on, if I drove it like an old lady.

my puma however, is good for about 10, the light comes on and its like 'GOD-DAMN, NEED TO FILL UP QUICK!'

pb ph2 172
when the light comes on you have 10 miles easily left
any more is a risk
tbh its not good to run that low as you will drag up the crap from the bottom of the tank etc etc

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
PYR1019.jpg

Both are close enough imo.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Because your pump picks up the fuel from the bottom of the tank anyway. Then before the pump there's a strainer to stop big chunks of crap being sucked up then after the pump there's a fuel filter to stop the small crap from getting through. That's only because we're assuming your fuel tank is like a sewer of foreign matter, which it isn't. How much crap do you think can get through the fuel nozzle at the pumps, then the strainer then the filter?

Chocolate Orange 172
I would like to think that the range computer is accurate but to be honest I buy fuel on a weekly basis and never let it get that low so could not honestly say!

320d
I think they're both reasonably accurate. I've ran Clio's for three years cumulatively and I've never run out of petrol yet.

roberto.

ClioSport Club Member
  S4 Avant
My computer once said I only had 1litre of fuel left, still manged a few miles. My fuel light comes on later in the 182 than it did in my 1.6 though.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I fill mine up, then reset the mile counter, when it gets to 320 miles I know it's time to fill up.

Dynamique 1.2 16v
well at the min i put 20 quid a week in and when the range goes below 100 miles the gauge is around the red line