ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front end knocking/rattle sound during cornering...

BG PH1 Megane 225
Hey all, just wanted to see what people's opinions are of the sound my car has started making the past month or so.

When driving over slightly scruffy or rough road surfaces during cornering my car makes a knocking/rattle noise at the front which you can also feel through the steering wheel (usually happens when I'm doing about 30mph upwards). I have decent tyres on the car (Kumho KU31).

I've not long had Powerflex ARB bushes put on the car (3 months ago or there abouts) but it's only recently I've started noticing it. I have a feeling my front shocks or the top mounts are past their best. Could these being old and worn out cause what I'm experiencing? I've had the tracking done about 3 months ago and new rear shocks fitted about a month ago (not that I expect these would cause this issue).

The car seems to handle fine, so I could just be making a fuss over nothing! :eek:

Would appreciate some input as to what might be wrong (unless of course this is normal for 1*2's with uprated ARB bushes).

Thanks in advance!

Renault Clio 1.2
This comment is going to be of no help what so ever mate but i have the same problem? and i seem to find so many different problems that people have had? have you sorted this as i notice this was last year....

i have a 1.2 btw dont know if its the same as yours tbh?

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Has the lower ball joint's ever been replaced ? my 1.4's doing this due to fubar ball joints on both sides, quite a knock it is too!

BG PH1 Megane 225
Only just noticed this has been revived from last year! :eek:

Since I posted my car just randomly stopped the knocking/juddering, I have no idea how or why it started in the first place but I haven't noticed it make a noise like it for months. Maybe my powerflex ARB bushes took a while to settle in or something. Now I just have a quiet squeak from my top mounts every now and then on rough patches of road.

(I realise this isn't of any use to you Bradderz, apologies!)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Didn't even notice the time warp ! I know the poly ARB's can squeak if they arnt packed with lube !

Renault Clio 1.2
No worries mate,
and mantis i have to be honest ive had the car for maybe 3months now and well i wouldnt know if im honest im going to assume it hasnt been tho
its not something i can recreate, if i go down a pot hole it seems to happen (not all the time but majority) and it seems to be becoming a little more frequent in the past few days? :S EEEKK :banghead:

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
No worries mate,
and mantis i have to be honest ive had the car for maybe 3months now and well i wouldnt know if im honest im going to assume it hasnt been tho
its not something i can recreate, if i go down a pot hole it seems to happen (not all the time but majority) and it seems to be becoming a little more frequent in the past few days? :S EEEKK :banghead:

If you jack your car up, and look at the joint that's pushed into the bottom of the hub and bolted to the wishbone with 2 bolts and check for excessive play.

Renault Clio 1.2
ah cheers ill see what i can find but i dont get home from till like half 5 so by then its a bit s**t and you cant see sod all but i went got lunch a minuite ago and its doing alot more frequently? genuinly crapping my pants because i dont know how much itll cost and im broke! :banghead:

Renault Clio 1.2
thanks for the help, over the weekend i got the car up and had a quick going over and to my suprise i found what seems to be the problem:race:
the bushs on my stabiliser bar had worn away and the knocking was just the bar hitting the fixture :D so it seems to be sorted :D