ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front end knock/clunk, help!!

Clio 182
Hey all,

I changed my springs over last weekend and am now noticing, you can feel it through the steering wheel as well as hearing it, a knocking/clunking noise coming from the offside/drivers area...

It only happens when i turn the car to the right, plus when i brake/accelerate.

The springs are sat correctly, and there are no obvious cracks/splits in them.

It's not the usual grinding/creaking strut on full lock, it's a different noise!!

Will check the springs again, but i thinks it be something else...!?! CV joints, track rods/ends maybe...!?! Could the springs be moving in the seats...!?!

Any helps will be appreciated :)

Note; car is an '04 182, 38k, on Sportline springs/standard shocks.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
wishbone balljoints perhaps. Had a similar thing on my mk1 which I couldn't work out until I hit a pothole and it snapped completely leaving me stranded with the wheel ripping half the arch off! Get it check sooner rather then later!

Clio 182
you put the top mount bearing back in the right way around?

Err, yea thinks so lol! Dismantled the shocks, and laid the components in order in the way they came off, and reversal when fitting back together! I then checked the one i rebuilt with the one that was still on the car, just to make sure and all oklies!!

Thanks for all the comments/suggestions, going upto Kent today and will get me cousin to 'look' at it, to see what he thinks! If he has no idea, then i'll book it in for the new year!!

Would the stiffer springs aggrevate any minor problem or worn components...!?! Also, thanks Christopher, but if it was the engine mount, would i of not noticed the 'clunk' with the standard springs...!?!

Like i said, i'll report back when i finally find out what and where the 'clunk' is coming from, just frustrating!!

have you still got the springs you've taken off? bit of a faff, but putting them back on will tell you if it's related to the shorter springs or not

assuming they're sat correctly, it could just be that they're shorter and that you've even more play in the top mounts - they're 'loose' even with the standard springs. if so, could renew the top mount rubbers (they compress with age), but likely to return if it is that

could also try swapping components left-to-right, see if that tells you anything