ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front door speakers help

172 Cup
Hello,
just after some help/advice on new front door speakers(maybe all 4 doors), I'm bit of a newbie to car audio but roughly know what I'm doing.

I'm looking into get some new front door speakers, Preferably with dash tweeters too (dont know the "technical name").
I'm running a Kenwood headunit with what I'm pretty sure has a 25w rms,
I've got 13cm juice speakers (http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-juice-js53_p-23113.htm) in all 4 corners with a edge 12" active sub at the moment.
I'm not really willing to change all the cables through the car if possible.

I'm just after some advice or reveiws on some new speakers or tips on getting better sound quality ect. - rough budget of £120

Thanks a lot
Rob

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
You'll need to run new cable if you want to use crossovers. Unless you can be bothered to dismantle the loom.

Listerine & Poledo
The Pioneer custom-fit jobs get the nod on here often for a minimal-hassle upgrade.

but they are double the price of the Alpines you've linked

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you've already got a sub, then don't bother changing the speakers. If your HU can do it, turn the low end frequencies off and let the sub do that work. The door speakers are pretty impressive once they're only doing the high end stuff !

Listerine & Poledo
If you've already got a sub, then don't bother changing the speakers. If your HU can do it, turn the low end frequencies off and let the sub do that work. The door speakers are pretty impressive once they're only doing the high end stuff !

This.

I never bothered changing the speakers after I got the HU set-up right. Hell, even my sub is pretty basic (Pioneer all-in-one job).

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My £80 Halfords special used to make my head hurt in the Clio. Such a small car, it makes a hell of a din !

If your HU doesn't do this OP, then get one that does.

Top of the range Alpine FTW :evil:

Listerine & Poledo
Even a mid-range Alpine will have a High-pass Filter option.

then you need only worry about speakers if you get the power-pack.... even then, probably not a big problem.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
They will do to come extent.

However, I binned the one that came with my latest car though as it was truly awful compared to my one.

/nerdyaudiophile

"Component" speakers are speakers which come as a set including the Tweeter and Woofer, linked by a crossover.
Most headunits display power as max value, so in reality most headunits only put out roughly <20watt RMS.

Amping them with an external amp obviously means you can take advantage of much higher power rated speakers.

All depends what your after / what your budget is / how good you are technically / how much effort you can be bothered with.

172 Cup
this is what ive already done but the tweeters have died on my speakers(there 3ways)

I might be missing something (if i am then diagrams would be awsome!) but why cant i just unplug the dash tweets and the door speakers and plug in the new ones with out any new wiring?

cheers for the replies so far!

You'd have to cut the connectors off the tweeters for a start.

And if you buy component speakers, the tweeters and speakers come with a crossover unit, which they both plug into, which itself is then wired into the source of your sound.
The crossover filters the frequencies of the sound, so the tweets only get the high end.

172 Cup
You'd have to cut the connectors off the tweeters for a start.

And if you buy component speakers, the tweeters and speakers come with a crossover unit, which they both plug into, which itself is then wired into the source of your sound
The crossover filters the frequencies of the sound, so the tweets only get the high end.
So can i wire the new crossover units to the standard cable? and essentially cut out the current crossover unit? or is the only way to just completely rewire and do this Click me

Cheers for your help

3-way components?

where have you put the 3rd speaker?
I'm Running these at the moment : Click Me

Im not surprised your tweets have died to your 3 way speakers if you are still using the OEM tweeters also. Get a good quality set of comps upfront and then wire in the crossover, you can wire it in behind the headunit if you find it easier. Speaker connection from stereo>crossover>normal door loom and run a new cable to the tweeter-makes life easier. Standard cable will be fine if you arent amping

When I did it in my old non sport, I threaded new cable through. Not like that though.

You can do it chopping into the existing loom. I'm not entirely sure, but I think the OEM tweeters have a built in crossover type thing, possibly just a resistor.
I'm pretty sure the standard tweeters are wired into the standard FL/FR +/- outputs of the headunit, where the two actually join on the loom I don't know
So in theory you can wire the crossover units to standard cable.

Quite complicated without really thinking about it. Because the inputs of the new crossover units would have to be wired to the FrontLeft/FrontRight speaker wires on the headunit.
So you'd have to cut the door speaker wires somwhere, have the +/- half of the wire coming from the speaker going into the speaker output of the crossover, then the other existing +/- half of the wire coming from the headunit into the sound input of the crossover, then probably easier to just have new wire coming from the tweeters, to the tweeter output of crossover.

If you understand me at all lol, don't quote me on anything, just thinking aloud!

Edit: MT has basically said what I've said in simpler terms. lol

172 Cup
Im not surprised your tweets have died to your 3 way speakers if you are still using the OEM tweeters also. Get a good quality set of comps upfront and then wire in the crossover, you can wire it in behind the headunit if you find it easier. Speaker connection from stereo>crossover>normal door loom and run a new cable to the tweeter-makes life easier. Standard cable will be fine if you arent amping
can you recommend anything within my £120 budget?
think I'm on the right tracks now!

When I did it in my old non sport, I threaded new cable through... ... terms. lol

cheers for your help mate pretty much makes sense, really appreciate it!

If you are t going to be ambling then you are wasting £80 of your money. If you want to discuss products then email me. I'm not cluttering up the forum with sales discussion