ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front Brake Shims - Keep or Remove?

Clio 182 Cup
Hi - quick question - I'm fitting some CL RC6 front pads. Do I keep these shims or do I throw them to allow for expansion?

(this is for a track car)

Thanks

front-brake-shims.jpg

ph1 172
I'm running the CL RC5's and they were tight with the shims. Tried without and there was to much movement for my liking.

I ended up filing a bit of the backing plates where they seat and running with shims and really happy with them now.

I also ground a bit of the sides of the shims as they were catching on the discs when hot on track.

Perfectly fine to remove them and have no issues. Personally i prefer to take a fraction of the pads .

Each to their own though.

For the uprated pads I've used (M1144's and DS2500's) it's always been recommended to me to leave the shims out.

I had huge amounts of brake squeal when I ran the M1144's with the shims in.

Not wishing to go too far off topic, but you see the two pad shapes below... well the shape of that ferodo pad is the same as standard pads for 306 GTi-6. Its not unique to ferodo, you can have the standard clio shape too, its just that it has been suggested that when buying the ferodo ds that this shape is better as it looks like there is more pad area. So it makes me wonder why more people don't buy 306 GTi-6 pads for their clio from other manufacturers? I have GTi-6 pads and they fit fine and I like the way they cover the disc better than the clio shape. Just a thought!

(Oh, and I run without shims too, BTW)

I take them off to use ferodo ds 1.11 fcp565w

34rj7o0.jpg

ferodo Vs OEM

20u1t94.jpg