ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Front brake calliper piston

Looking for 182
Hi all,

Just sticking some new front pads on, but I can't get the piston to budge so obviously nothing will fit :(

I realise that I might need to undo the cap on the brake fluid resevoir but I'm not sure where this is. Is it the thing down the back of the engine on driver's side (need to take engine cover off)?

Any tips would be really helpful.

Thanks

Suzuki Ignis
It will budge, you just got to stop being a little girl ;)

Got a G-clamp you could put on to push it back in?

Looking for 182
I've got a few things which I'll keep trying to use. I just don't want to waste my time if it turns out I should be doing something else to make it easier, if that makes sense?

Looking for 182
Ok I did it, I've got the new pads in on the passenger side.

However I've noticed that when I turn the hub it's like it's braking a little bit. It even does this on the side I haven't changed yet.

I turned the ignition on and slowly pressed the brake pedal and it firmed up, but as I say it's like it's braking a little bit all the time. Is this normal? The hub does turn, but if I turn it hard and let go it stops very quickly.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Are both sliders moving freely?

You'll need to pump the pedal a few times once you've fitted the pads to get the piston back to where it needs to be.

Looking for 182
Well, I don't think so, one of the brake pads on the driver's side is completely stuck, which I guess means the slider isn't moving freely?

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
Is this the opposite side to the one you were just trying to push the piston back in? I suspect with no where to go when you had the cap on, it's pushed the opposite side on.

If you can get the calliper off, you may just be able to push it back in - I tend to release the bleed nipple as I'm pushing them back - if you time it all right (push first, open, close before it gets to the end) it won't need bleeding after.

Once you've got it in, fit the new pads, refit the caliper and pump the pedal a few times.

Make sure you've got a helper handy just in case you do need to bleed it afterwards :)

Looking for 182
They're on now. I have no idea how to bleed brakes unfortunately. The car stops so it's all good.

It doesn't stop particularly well, but I assume it will take a few hundred miles to bed in properly. Job done, yay!